Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D820 - is it around the corner?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Well, I didn't mean to suggest that Nikon didn't do any shows or events. However, lately, I've seen much larger Canon presence. 

There are pages on the NPS site where some of the advantages of membership... including loaners and repairs are detailed. Not all of it is free. 

I note that Canon has different tiers of Pro membership which start at "Silver" and that tier is free but comes with few services besides a membership card and, presumably, access to the Canon Pro area at events. Their required gear list is similar to Nikon's, if not even more restrictive. That surprised me. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In Europe we have a level below NPS called NPU (Nikon Professional User) where there is no need to be a pro, and the required equipment is one pro body and two pro items (lenses or speedlights). This gives a subscription to NikonPRO magazine, 10% off education supplied by Nikon and free phone support. I suppose this is similar to the CPS Silver membership.

NPS members can check out one body and one lens for a day or two per year and only pay for postage both ways. This is, however based on availability of the loaners. We also have a 72 hour guaranteed turnaround for repairs and service. If it takes longer, Nikon supplies a loaner until the camera or lens is fixed. There is a NPS presence at most sports and larger cultural events.

Photofix

Photofix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I really doubt that Nikon will change their plan just because Canon have a 50mpx camera, just remember a few years ago with the D700 at 12mpx while Canon had the 5D MKII in late 2008 with 21mpx ... It took Nikon 3 and a half year to come out with a new camera that have a bigger pixel count then the 5D MKII. The Nikon D810 have just been released, I doubt Nikon will update it before 2017, and if they do update it before, I guess it will be some minor update with the same 36mpx sensor, adding stuff like wifi, maybe a better buffer, a bit improvement in hi iso or something like that, but we won't see a major update before 2017 (or 2018 if they go with a minor update next year) So don't expect a 50mpx D820 next year, and if a 50mpx camera next year, it will come as a replacement of the D3X, not the D810.