Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D820 - is it around the corner?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
I've been thinking about the test shot request, but I'm not sure how it'd going to work. My kit lens is the 18-55. Putting that on the d810 and an 85mm on the 3200, effectively making it a 127mm focal length, is going to give hugely different pictures. Maybe the 18-55 on the 810 and my Tamron 15-30 on the 3200? I could get those close. Or do you want to specifically see a Nikon lens?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What is important is a pro-calibre lens on the lesser body and a kit zoom on the pro body. To me your lens choices definitely qualify.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
But if they want to be able to judge without knowing which is which, those 2 options are a dead giveaway. The Example I gave is the only way it could be an even contest. I could frame those two setups similar.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I meant the 15-30 and the 18-55. The 15-30 is definitely pro-calibre...

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

"My other camera that I often pair up with the Nikon Df is a Leica M Monochrom"...

I use a lot of lenses made as far back as the 1930s with it. At F4, most of them match the resolution of the sensor, which has no Bayer Filter and has no Anti-Alias filter. Put a $300 used Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton on it- stopped down to F2.8 will outresolve the camera.

I'm betting the 50/1.8 AF-S Nikkor would do quite well on a D810, stopped down a little. But then again- I've never been one for absolute sharpness. The first lens used on the Leica was one built out of parts, the original lens was unusable as the focal length was wrong. After 70 years, somebody had to fix it. 

I do agree that it is time for Nikon to get away from "ED" for their lenses. It used to stand for "Extra Dollars". Now- it seems to stand for something else... But they are sharp. When the D800e first came out the Nikon rep told me that the micro-Nikkors would be good on it, the 70~180 Micro-Nikkor-Zoom would do it justice.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Coupla things. One, Peter... your link goes to a blank page now (404 Error).

Second... well, I'm not sure about the ED thing meaning extra dollars. I have a cheap old 70-300 zoom that's at least ten or fifteen years old that has and ED designation. And, on my crop sensor camera it's actually pretty darn good. 

But, that brings us back to the problem... what determines a pro quality Nikkor lens? Yeah, bucks of course. But some fairly inexpensive primes are also pro quality.And, would the Nikkor 70-200 f/4 be less pro than the 70-200 f/2.8? From what I gather they're both excellent lenses. 

I can't even speak to the Leica. That's so far out of my range that I can't even contemplate using one... as much as I would love to. I'd be afraid to take it out of the box, let alone out on the street. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Nikonpro site seems to be under maintenance at the moment.

ED (extra-low-dispersion) glass is optical glass with additives of special minerals to correct chromatic aberrations. ED lenses are as free from CA as the thorium lenses of the sixties but without the radioactivity and need to be in use in UV light not to go yellow.

The f/4 zooms all have the gold ring and are on the (for now unavailable) list of NPS qualifying equipment.

DX zooms except the 18-55 VR have at least one ED element, and they can't be called expensive.

• Ron likes this

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

The joke in the camera shop -circa 1978- was when the ED glass came out that it was "Extra Dollars". It lowers CA, which these days can be done after the fact. I worked in a camera shop earning my way through college.

Getting fixed-focal length performance out of a zoom is hard. I find it easiest to use fixed focal length lenses to get the best performance out of a less expensive lenses. The AF-S 50/1.8 is an aspheric design. It's very sharp, as good as the Nokton.

I've had professional photographers ask me to make some novel lenses for their Leica that were inexpensive. Single-Element meniscus lenses made to be RF calibrated. Russian Contax mount lenses calibrated for Leica.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks for the update on the Nikon site, Peter. I'd really like to take a look at that PDF. 

Anyway... yes, I did already know what ED stands for but I appreciate the extra info nonetheless. After looking at this thread last night I decided to look at some of my test images for various Nikkors I own. I'm still amazed at the resolving power of the Nikkor AFS 85mm f/1.8G. Even at high iso this lens really shines. It's a shame tho... it sort of spoils you a bit. LOL

--Ron

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
My short day turned into a not so short day. However, I'm headed home for 9 days off. I'll go out one day and do some test shots. I have two senior shoots and a newborn session to do as well as my nieces college graduation. Will be a fun week

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

BTW... I tried again but still got a 404 error with your link, Peter. Then, I tried adding http:// and www to the front of the URL. That worked and the page loaded immediately. It makes for an interesting read. Especially insomuch as which cameras and lenses qualify and which ones don't. The 35mm f/1.8 DX lens makes the cut but the AFS 35mm f/1.8G full frame lens doesn't. Also, only one (two actually) crop sensor cameras make the list; The D300 and the D300s. Both of which have been relagated to 'archived' status on the Nikon website. Neither the D7100 or the D7200 made the grade (except as backup bodies). Apparently there are no DX bodies in the current inventory that qualify for 'Pro' status.

--Ron

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Now that canon has 50Mp I'm sure Nikon will push ahead to stay in the game...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Ron,

Keep in mind that the list is for renewal.  I have not found a similar list for initial membership.  I plan on e-mailing them about that at some point but haven't had a chance as yet.  I found the list quite interesting as well with what was or was not on the list.  

I expect Nikon will have to try to keep up or stay ahead in the MP game.  It will be interesting...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Keep in mind that the list is for renewal.  I have not found a similar list for initial membership.  I plan on e-mailing them about that at some point but haven't had a chance as yet.  I found the list quite interesting as well with what was or was not on the list.  

I expect Nikon will have to try to keep up or stay ahead in the MP game.  It will be interesting...

I understand that, but fail to see how an initial membership list would be different. I found the list perplexing to say the least. Actually, I find the whole idea of .... you need to have such and such equipment in order to qualify as a Nikon 'Pro' to be ludicrous. I would think your professional creds and body of work would be far more important than how many full frame Nikon bodies you own. As long as you used a Nikon... any Nikon to do the work, I don't see the problem.  In any case, I think you're pretty safe with (at least) two full frame cameras and some nice glass to go with them.

And, yeah, I also agree that a (speaking of ludicrous) huge sensor Nikon is in the works. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ron,

I agree...but I guess they have to have some reasonable list of qualifications...It will be interesting to see how they define full time as well...

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I agree...but I guess they have to have some reasonable list of qualifications...It will be interesting to see how they define full time as well...

Yeah, I guess so. Seems like another nudge at full frame to me though. But, it is what it is I guess. Good luck!

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Actually, I find the whole idea of .... you need to have such and such equipment in order to qualify as a Nikon 'Pro' to be ludicrous. I would think your professional creds and body of work would be far more important than how many full frame Nikon bodies you own. As long as you used a Nikon... any Nikon to do the work, I don't see the problem. 

Me being cynical: The problem is that you may not have spent enough money with them if your creds and body of work were the only criteria used. When it comes right down to it, Nikon is in the business of making money, and enticing you to buy more gear is a great way of doing that. ;)

I know a few photographers who belong to the Nikon Pro program, and they don't seem terribly impressed by it. I haven't been super interested in working towards qualification, to be honest. On the other hand, I hear nothing but rave reviews of Canon's pro program.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Me being cynical: The problem is that you may not have spent enough money with them if your creds and body of work were the only criteria used. When it comes right down to it, Nikon is in the business of making money, and enticing you to buy more gear is a great way of doing that. ;)

I know a few photographers who belong to the Nikon Pro program, and they don't seem terribly impressed by it. I haven't been super interested in working towards qualification, to be honest. On the other hand, I hear nothing but rave reviews of Canon's pro program.

Nicole,

I'm old enough to remember when Nikon appeared to be the class of the field as far as taking care of their professional users went. They used to have big tents at many important sporting (or other) events where, as I understand it, pros could get (often free) cleanings and adjustments, repairs, loaners (tho... I'm not sure about the free part here) and lots of other goodies that made being a Nikon pro someone to be envied. Need a special lens on really, really short notice? No problem!

Then something happened....

I'm not sure what it was.  Perhaps an actual Nikon pro can weigh in on this... provided he or she isn't constrained by an NDA.

As to the cynical part... well, yes. Nikon is in the business of making money. But one way you do that is by producing a quality product that your intended customer base wants to use. Forcing people to conform to your worldview, especially if it's one sided, seldom produces the desired results for either side.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have to agree Nicole about the money, but I also think the benefits are more or less visible based on the types of photography you do.  

If you wander around this site, you will see they have a long list of events - that happens to be US and Canada events - where they have tents / booths for the pros.  I noticed that all three Triple Crown horse race events, Indy 500 and a few other big events were on there as well as some seminars and workshops.  

I know some pros who shoot sports and they always get some loaner gear or whatever around playoff time to give them some extra equipment just in case.  I believe as Ron indicated that it is free, but am not positive.  I also am not sure if they choose those times for loaner gear or the gear is made available at that time for sports photographers.  They also get priority service and temporary replacements when service is needed which can be critical to working pros who are shooting scheduled events.  While any pro needs gear, that may not be as critical an issue to a pro shooting things that are not scheduled assignments.

Definitely quite a bit to learn before I decide if it is worth trying to take that plunge...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I checked the equipment list for Sweden for new membership, I have copied it here with a little bit of translation bold in brackets.

Kamerahus (minst två av nedanstående)
(Bodies, at least two of the following)

D-SLR
D4S

D4
D3S
D3X
D3
D810
D800
D800E
D750

Objektiv (minst tre av nedanstående objektiv)
(Lenses, at least three of the following)

Fasta objektiv (Primes)

AF 50 f/1.4D

AF 85 f/1.4D

AF-S 24 f/1.4G

AF-S 35 f/1.4G

AF-S 50 f/1.4G

AF-S 58 f/1.4G

AF-S 85 f/1.4G

AF 85 f/1.8D

AF 35 f/2D

AF 14 f/2.8D

AF 20 f/2.8D

AF 24 f/2.8D

AF 180 f/2.8D

Zoom-objektiv (Zoom lenses)
AF-S 14-24 f/2.8G
AF-S 16-35 f/4G
AF-S 17-35 f/2.8
AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G
AF-S 24-120 f/4G
AF-S 28-70 f/2.8D
AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 G VR
AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II
AF-S 70-200 f/4G ED VR
AF-S 200-400 f/4G VR
AF-S 200-400 f/4G VR II

DX-objektiv (DX lenses)
AF-S 10.5 f/2.8G DX Fisheye
AF-S 12-24G f/4 DX

Teleobjektiv (Tele lenses)
AF-S 200 f/2G VR
AF-S 200 f/2G VR II
AF-S 300 f/2.8G VR
AF-S 300 f/2.8G VR II
AF-S 300 f/4D
AF-S 400 f/2.8D Type II
AF-S 400 f/2.8G VR
AF-S 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
AF-S 500 f/4D Type II
AF-S 500 f/4G VR
AF-S 600 f/4D Type II
AF-S 600 f/4G VR
AF-S 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR

Specialobjektiv (Special purpose lenses)
AF 16 f/2.8D Fisheye
PC-E 24 f/3.5D
PC-E 45 f/2.8D
PC-E 85 f/2.8D
AF DC 105 f/2D
AF DC 135 f/2D

Macroobjektiv (Macro lenses)
AF-S 60 f/2.8G
AF-S 105 f/2.8G VR
AF 200 f/4D

For renewals, the list can be found here. I guess a similar list applies in the US.