Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Turn off Auto ISO on a D7000 when using the flash

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Outdadarwin

Outdadarwin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDarwin River, NT

I turn off Auto ISO on a D7000 when I'm using the flash.

Wasn't a problem on the D300 or D80, and may have reverted back in newer models.

I find it most useful when doing macro photography, so I usually turn it off when I attach my macro lens.

It will reduce un-necessary noise in your photos.

This was the only change I didn't like in the D7000.

It can be added to the U1 or U2 function.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Or just set a realistic or acceptable upper limit for the auto-ISO.

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

i forgot the d7000 even has auto iso. i have had it turned off since i got the camera. maybe i should turn it one for a bit to see how it works.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I turn off Auto ISO on a D7000 when I'm using the flash.

Wasn't a problem on the D300 or D80, and may have reverted back in newer models.

I find it most useful when doing macro photography, so I usually turn it off when I attach my macro lens.

It will reduce un-necessary noise in your photos.

This was the only change I didn't like in the D7000.

It can be added to the U1 or U2 function.

Yes, Nikon changed the behaviour of Auto ISO with flash on the D300s and later cameras. Earlier cameras would keep the lowest ISO possible when using flash and Auto ISO. The newer cameras seem to set the ISO closer to what an ambient exposure would give, which tends to max out the ISO in too many situations for my liking.

I hear that the D600 has different behaviour again, but haven't found any proper discussion about it.

Chris

Outdadarwin

Outdadarwin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDarwin River, NT

Hi Chris,

I have heard that Nikon have reverted back in newer models, might be to difficult to change in firmware update.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Rather than chopping and changing things without telling us, it would be nice if they just gave us the choice in a menu (yeah I know - another menu item!)

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

This is good to know about the D7000 as I'm awaiting delivery of one this week! Thanks for the heads up guys.:)

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

This is good to know about the D7000 as I'm awaiting delivery of one this week! Thanks for the heads up guys. :)

It's the same as your D3100, I should think, as the D3100 is newer than the D300s which was where things changed.

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

auto iso does work well in certain areas. Although thing like studio work and macro work are not one of them. I only tend to use it on BIF,but some from Fred Miranda are trying to get me to make the switch too 100% manual, which I don't see as a bad thing btw. I just have to get used to manual on static nature before I start using it on those that move.