Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Maddie Rosco - February Shoot

portrait d810 sigma art crew one photography maddie roscoe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I have made arrangements with a young local model to meet regularly just for some TFP shoots. The intention is for it to be an equal creative collaboration, where either of us can suggest ideas. Most models doing TFP shoots are at the whim of the photographer so this should allow her to expand her portfolio and greater experience for me.

What can I say about this young lady.... Such a breeze to work with. Just struck pose after pose. It seemed all I had to do was keep the camera to my eye and keep up. I probably should have kept the processing consistent. But some shots seemed to be more suited to a certain style. This was our first time meeting, so was just more a chance for us to get to know each other.

All shot with D810 and Sigma Art 50mm with natural light.

16360386837_72d2c7d06f_z.jpg

Maddie Roscoe by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

16521574666_45bccb614f_z.jpg

16547807331_01032c9dd6_z.jpg

16549518365_357f5b11f0_z.jpg

15926919174_1552fb75c5_z.jpg

16547816141_fe6db9c2aa_z.jpg

16548410202_ae360a43f7_z.jpg

16549528605_41ab73f914_z.jpg

16548654472_a39558123f_z.jpg

16363480649_6fc2e27c1f_z.jpg

16362091168_50a166a8e0_z.jpg

15929592833_037350243b_z.jpg

16549872235_de720843c0_z.jpg

Any and all CC is welcome. Either a way I could have worked with the model better, posing, location or PP. This is my very first shoot with a proper model, and only my 3rd ever shoot with a non friend or family so I could use all the help I can get.

Personally, I am thrilled with the way they have come out. I put a lot of that down to a spectacular model. For a 15 year old, she sure has a lot of screen presence and knows exactly what she is doing in front of a camera.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I like these. The only critique I would offer is, I'm not a fan of the 50mm for portrait work, especially with a model. I like longer lenses to make it easier to blur out busy backgrounds. The focus of the image should be on the model or subject matter, not what is going on in the background. Of course, with the way you have her posed not really an issue with the majority of the images you have posted.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

These are spectacular! Yes, indeed, you should be thrilled about how they came out. I can't believe she is 15--she definitely does have presence and you captured it well. And I'm envious of you having such a gorgeous on-call model to work with. I think your PP looks fabulous! 

Sorry--I don't have much CC to offer… Maybe try to keep on eye on where your light is so you can get better catchlights--most look great, but number 7 has her eyes looking a bit dull (that being said, the reflection in the glasses on number 10 is super cool!).

I love how most of the poses look so natural--very elegant, but not forced. Even the more "posey" ones don't look forced (1, 5, 7, 12), which is super hard to do, so kudos to both of you.

Do you have an 85mm or 105mm? I'd love to see you try one of those on this model--especially for the close-up shots. Number 11 looks a bit like a selfie, and I wonder if a longer focal length would ease that feeling.

I know you're not a novice, but here are a couple articles about focal lengths for portraits:

The Ideal Focal Length for Portraiture: A Photographer's Experiment

http://www.adorama.c...Portrait-Lenses

Anyway--well done! What a great set--both of you ended up with some lovely images for portfolios.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
I don't have a longer prime. Call me strange but 85mm just doesn't do it for me. A mate has the 105mm and I should definitely borrow that some time. I do have a 70-200mm f2.8 on me, but in this case I was just trying to stay with the 50mm as a comfortable working distance from my model. The day Sigma put out an art series 135mm I'll be all over that as this is my preferred focal length.

I was mindful of my backgrounds. Or in the case of #1 I have photoshopped out a distracting hand rail and #13 cropped in close to avoid undesired elements.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

2,6,7,9 and 12 are my favourites of this shoot. Great looking model and nice to see some location shots. Well done.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
Cheers for the feedback.

Thus was just a casual shoot where we could get to know each other. We are planning on collaborating monthly. Now to just think of a theme or particular style we would like to achieve..... Hmm? I'm going to have to search for some inspiration.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portrait, d810, sigma art, crew one photography, maddie roscoe