Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC

tamron 24-70mm vc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

nsomnac

nsomnac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Don't you mean, the Tamron is a 24-70?

No.. I actually meant 28-75... :). There is a 24-70, but that's out of my budget.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This is a bit off-topic as this thread is about the Tamron 24-70, but anyway...

The Tamron 28-75 is quite a bit better than the 35-70. The 35-70 was a solid workhorse on film, up to 10 MP on DX and on the D700 and D3. It doesn't outresolve the more modern sensors, though and everything needs to be oversharpened to not look flat. The Tamron, on the other hand is nice and contrasty between f/3.2 and f/7.1 even on the D810. It is slightly soft and shows some vignetting wide open and diffraction sets in earlier than with the 24-70-s from both Tamron and Nikon, but for what it costs, it is surprisingly good. On a D600, D610 or D750, it is nice up to f/11 and quite usable up to f/16.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Got to ask, how does this lens compare to say a used Nikon 35-70 f2.8 acknowledging that the Tamron is a 28-70...

You mean the older Tamron 28-75mm?

edit: Oops.. didn't see the second page

nsomnac

nsomnac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

This is a bit off-topic as this thread is about the Tamron 24-70, but anyway...
The Tamron 28-75 is quite a bit better than the 35-70. The 35-70 was a solid workhorse on film, up to 10 MP on DX and on the D700 and D3. It doesn't outresolve the more modern sensors, though and everything needs to be oversharpened to not look flat. The Tamron, on the other hand is nice and contrasty between f/3.2 and f/7.1 even on the D810. It is slightly soft and shows some vignetting wide open and diffraction sets in earlier than with the 24-70-s from both Tamron and Nikon, but for what it costs, it is surprisingly good. On a D600, D610 or D750, it is nice up to f/11 and quite usable up to f/16.

Yes, my bad... I had been asking around about both the Tamron 24-70 and the 28-75, as well as the Nikon 35-70 2.8D and was confused as to which thread I was replying. Apologies!

Thanks for the input regardless!

I ended up purchasing a Nikon 35-70 2.8D... I'll see how it goes. If I don't like it, I'll resell it. The Tamron 24-70 is a bit out of my budget right now, but worth keeping in sight as it's still substantially cheaper than Nikon's new 24-70 VR and mildly cheaper than the non-VR. The Tamron 28-75 also fits my budget right now, however many of the photos on Flickr from both Tamron lenses on average look soft to me on a D7100. Most of the sharp images I've seen from the Tamrons have been on FX bodies.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Most of the sharp images I've seen from the Tamrons have been on FX bodies.

Most people will tell you that the Tamron 28-75 works better on a crop body camera.  I certainly liked mine on my Pentax gear.  The 28-75 is known for having weak corners.  You can check it out, here.  http://www.the-digit...omp=0&APIComp=0

When you're looking at pictures on the internet, for a zoom, you also have to keep in mind the sweet spots for the lens.  The Tamron 28-75 is better on the wide end than the tele-end.  If you decide to sell your 35-70, you should probably look for something like the Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 lens, as 35 is pretty narrow on a crop body.  17-50 will give you the more traditional standard zoom angle of view.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen
The 50mm sigma, how is focus speed compared to the 24-70?
I honestly find it a little slow compared to 70-200 2.8 tamron, but small sacrifice. Pretty happy with the lens, and really... macro, it is good for this purpose.

Unlike you, I use VC almost all the time, it is great, nothing less...!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamron, 24-70mm, vc