Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC

tamron 24-70mm vc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Just updated my thoughts on the Tamron 70-200mm and saw there is no thread for this lens....

I got my Nikon kit late last year which included the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC and 70-200mm f2.8 VC. I bought both of these lenses for the price of a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRii which was on my must buy list. But when I started reading reviews on the Tamron alternatives where many subjectively pick the Tamron 24-70mm over the Nikon and Sigma (and Canon) alternatives. And also see the favourable reviews on the Dx0 score fot eh 70-200mm my purchase decisions became obvious.

Now I have had a good month of use from this lens I have these initial thoughts and some examples

Pro:

• Image quality is every bit what I want from this type of lens. If the others are better then they must be spectacular.
  • The vibration control works well. Not sure how often I have actually had to use it but it is there if I do have that need
  • Ergonomics are superior to the Nikon version. Tamron place their focus and zoom rings around the opposite way to Nikon. This places the most used ring, the zoom ring right under where you hold the lens. A mate who has the Nikon has complained about accidentally knocking of the focus ring and taking shot out of focus. No such issue for me.
  • Price. Simply amazing value.
  • Focuses fast, accurately and silently. I've not felt a need to adjust focus.

Cons:

• Well it is heavy. Heavier than my 70-200mm which is a bigger lens.
  • Big. That 82mm front ring can make filters expensive.

15974399522_e664db35df.jpg

Lillian by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

16063988935_99d4792a45.jpg

untitled-17-20141220.jpg by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

15877948259_5f3828f374.jpg

untitled-34-20141220.jpg by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

16061618526_0950dae950.jpg

HMCS Protector by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

This lens is my go to work horse. It is the lens that is stored on my D810 in the bag, without fail. I love the focal range versatility and the quality produced is excellent. I do also have the Sigma Art 50mm f1.4 and at times I find the results from the Tamron to be almost as good at that focal length.

brentmel1972

brentmel1972

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks so much for this.  I am about to purchase the D750 and was going back and forth on what lenses I wanted.  I like everything I have been reading on the Tamrons and I think now that I read someone with these lenses are happy with them, I will purchase these two also.  

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Thank you for your review dcbear78!

I totally agree with you! I have had the Tamron 24-70 VC for a year now and I am extremely happy with it. On my last trip to Italy VC came in handy when shooting inside of a church for example. I use it a lot on my d750.

I chose the Tamron over Nikon for the price, VC and the fact that it felt better on d750 (not as front heavy at 24mm) and is a little bit lighter (825g vs 900g).

@dcbear78: Heavier than 70-200 f4 maybe :)?

@brentmel1972: I don't think you can go wrong if you purchase the Tamron. It is a fantastic lens.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

I guess the heavier statement was a subjective thing. It isn't heavier, but does feel every bit as heavy, which to be honest doesn't bother me.

Also interesting to note Pentax has chosen to re-brand this lens as their own 24-70mm f2.8 which has just been released to go with the up coming unicorn... I mean full frame camera.

And while I'm here i might add some more images with this lens. As much as i find the focal length hugely versatile it isn't a lens I use often as I mostly photograph people these days so go with Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma Art 50mm f1.4 for the majority of my work.

20493899143_ce35d87cd9_b.jpg

Allan & Emma by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

And here the VC is put to good use....

19298533966_9da55a0b4e_b.jpg

Mick and Duey by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Nice images!

I hope you don't mind me sharing some of mine taken with the Tamron 24-70 VC.

Here they are:

tamron-001.jpg

tamron-002.jpg

tamron-003.jpg

tamron-004.jpg

tamron-005.jpg

tamron-006.jpg

All taken during my last trip to Italy.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

I hope you don't mind me sharing some of mine taken with the Tamron 24-70 VC.

Definitely not... That is what the thread is for. Great shots.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Deff added to my to-buy list.

I'm gonna be bold enough to even get it before getting FX! (Waiting untill next Asia trip, prices are nuts in Denmark)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,644 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you seen the price at fotokoch.de? €799, and as it is in the EU there is no trouble registering for the 5-year warranty. List price in Europe is pretty standardized on €1350.

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

I got mine for 800€ last year. Our local camera shop currently sells them for 859€. But I am not sure if they are shipping outside of Slovenia.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

In the nordic countries they seem to cost about €1000 from the cheaper mailorder firms...

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

In the nordic countries they seem to cost about €1000 from the cheaper mailorder firms...

In Denmark the Tammy 24-70 sells at ~6400 DKK according to pricerunner, yet, 870 Euro or so sure isnt cheap.

But consider it 'acceptable' level compared to other cam stuff.... In Denmark the D750 is close to 2000 Euro, while in Asia, its ~1300 Euro.

However, you can save 150 Euro by buying the lens in Asia .

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As the dealers who sell them cheap according to pricerunner don't mention the 5-year extended warranty, they are probably grey market. This probably means as much hassle as if you bought it in Asia and imported it yourself if you need service for some reason. In fact, it would mean more hassle as personal proof of purchase in the market the lens was meant for gives a different situation than a lens bought grey market.

lostnomore

lostnomore

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Also interesting to note Pentax has chosen to re-brand this lens as their own 24-70mm f2.8 which has just been released to go with the up coming unicorn... I mean full frame camera.

Ha!  I love how you referred to how Pentax keeps putting off the release date of their new FF!  Back in my Pentax days, waiting for something new to be released only to be delayed seemed more the rule than the exception.  If I had been waiting for their FF to be released after it was first rumored, I'd have gone crazy by now!

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

Ha! I love how you referred to how Pentax keeps putting off the release date of their new FF! Back in my Pentax days, waiting for something new to be released only to be delayed seemed more the rule than the exception. If I had been waiting for their FF to be released after it was first rumored, I'd have gone crazy by now!

Apparently unicorns are actually real. Plenty photos getting around of it. Pentax even has an official website for it. Should be released at the next major trade show (CP+?)

lostnomore

lostnomore

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Apparently unicorns are actually real. Plenty photos getting around of it. Pentax even has an official website for it. Should be released at the next major trade show (CP+?)

Well I hope for Ricoh's sake they've taken this extra time to get it right.  They're entering the FF game very late so they need to deliver something very compelling or lose yet more people to other, better-established systems.  I left Pentax mainly due to their unreliable auto-focus in action and lower-light action situations.  Not sure if they'll come out with a system that can compete on a level with Nikon and Canon who have had incredible AF systems for many years.  I guess I wasn't willing to stick around and wait.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
Yeah I think it's going to be too late for them too. Seems like a lot have been drawn in by mirrorless FF Sony's or moved to Nikon.

I never noticed the focus problems until I experienced how fast it is on my Nikon. Admittedly I don't have entry level camera and lenses, but still, I have top of the line Pentax gear too.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I never worried about the next new release from Pentax when I had Pentax gear!  Loved my gear, but pretty much had what I needed or couldn't afford what I wanted...of course, the big release that my Dad looked forward to was the ME Super!  I had MX bodies and felt no need to have all the automation...and I had fixed lenses from 28 to 300 along with some zooms...my favorite of the lenses was my 200 2.5 and I loved my 100 macro as well...I looked at the 200 2.5 sitting in a display case at a Ritz Camera store for quite awhile before I decided I just had to buy it...then it took me MONTHS to get that lens...I knew I was going to buy it and so did Ritz, but they didn't have it on their inventory and neither did the Pentax rep so nobody could figure out who owned it so that they could sell it!  The two finally gave up (mostly due to my asking regularly) and sold it to me at a ridiculously low price compared to what I had seen on some of the mail order sites...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've never shot... oh, well ... occasionally.. maybe, Pentax. I don't have a dog in that hunt although the lady of the house rarely shoots with anything else. So, I get a dose of Pentax news from time to time.

I learned the craft. I mean really learned the craft, on my fully manual Minolta SRT. And, there are days when I pine for the simplicity of that camera. 

--Ron

nsomnac

nsomnac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
Got to ask, how does this lens compare to say a used Nikon 35-70 f2.8 acknowledging that the Tamron is a 24-70...

lostnomore

lostnomore

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Got to ask, how does this lens compare to say a used Nikon 35-70 f2.8 acknowledging that the Tamron is a 28-70...

Don't you mean, the Tamron is a 24-70?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamron, 24-70mm, vc