Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 1 February 2015

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 1 February 2015, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Hoping to get something in this week, i've missed a few weeks now. Time and work being the main issue.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

We've had quite a few storms this last couple weeks. Saw this one rolling in as this is pretty much my view out the window where my computer is. But I had the aircon going and it took a few minutes for my lenses to demist and me to get set up. By that time the winds picked right up and rain started coming down hard. So I ran for cover, put the tripod down and got one last shot of it. Minutes later a lightning bolt took out my electricity until the following day when the electrical company was able to come out and restore it.

16191524140_0f0da73be2_b.jpg

Summer Storms by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Processed in LR5 and Color Efex Pro 4

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Great shot, dcBear! Catching lightning is on my to-do list…maybe this year I'll finally get around to it.

Rob, I've been in the same situation--last week was the first time in a couple of weeks that I posted on my own thread, ha ha! Hope you can find some time to get the camera back out...

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

I have 2 faves this week...

16192026089_ea8353a9d8_b.jpg

16192355537_2b185a1124_b.jpg

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

We went to a Native American festival a few days ago at Talking Stick Resort in Scotsdale, AZ, and watched the dancers.  This particular group of four are quite young as this tribe focuses on getting youth into the their culture and heritage.  I processed in b/w as the costumes and make-up were primarily black or dark colors for this particular dance.

D750, Sigma 24-109 and Nikon 50mm, iso 200, shot at 95mm @ 1/400 in shutter mode @ f5.0

After reviewing the close up, it really doesn't mean much out of context to the rest of the photos.  I added the original shot to show more of the dancer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Indian dncer b-w.jpg
  • Indian dncer-3 b-w.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Really nice shot, deano! I like both versions and would have a hard time choosing too. I like the context, but I also really like the closer crop. I'd also love to see a color version!

So did this group allow photos during the dance or was this taken after? I know many don't allow photos during...

And Scott, your concert photos just keep amazing me. Are you getting paid for all this fabulous work? Surely the concert world up there is recognizing your genius!

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

"not with a Nikon"...

This lens has some history behind it. The inner serial number shows it was made by Zeiss in Germany in 1943, the outer SN shows it was finished in Russia in 1950. It never worked, the focus was WAY, WAY off. It was assembly practice and was glued in place. 10 hours of work to make it usable.

Jupiter-3/Sonnar 5cm F1.5, wide-open. This is an RF manual focus lens. "Subject is moving"

16366268261_de82af8a81_o.jpgSkate and Fun zone

Taking a rest.

16182117147_f16934a6a7_o.jpgSkate and Fun zone 

The 1949 Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5 is based on the Zeiss Sonnar. i will be taking the Nikkor out tomorrow.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Thanks Nicole.  There were a few cameras in the crowd, one professional shooting for the festival, and of course, the obligatory cell phones.

None of the dancers or tribal members seemed disturbed.  But good observation.  I will definitely ask next time.  This was a festival showcasing the local Indian culture in conjunction with the upcoming Super Bowl.  There was also a sidewalk chalk art drawing exhibition.  When I took photos of those, the artists were more than willing to talk about their work.  They showed a lot of pride of craftsmanship, as they should, their work is awesome.  And to think it will be washed away in the next rain.  Attached is the photo in color.

Attached Thumbnails

• Indian dancer-color.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

It looks great in color, too! I'm sure if they had a problem with it, they would have said something. And it seems that many of the Native American performers tell you well beforehand that you are not allowed to take photographs, so I'm sure you don't need to worry. I was only asking because I was curious if this was taken during the performance or if he had posed afterward. 

This has been on my mind a bit lately--we have been planning a trip to Alaska for this summer (looks like it's getting postponed though), and some of the shore excursions on the cruise involve Native American performers--they are very clear that photography is not allowed during the performance, though the performers will pose for you in their costumes afterward. 

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

I've moved on from dripping shots... and the next month will be reflections/shiny objects. Below was my favorite from today, hoping to get some outdoor stuff tomorrow... as it's very wet out.

16227056587_f78eb5084f.jpg20150131-_DSC0089 by mr_leeman, on Flickr

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
(Work with the crashed NAS is ongoing ... While initially it contained both the unprocessed and the processed files - and me relying on the RAID configuration, as well as the external backup - I have now decided to go for two separate hardware setups. In a first step I have configured a new server for storing the unprocessed captures and restored close to 99.7% of the initial files using the backups. Next will be to reconfigure the NAS and then regenerate the processed files for viewing ... ) so that keeps me busy for the moment ...

Here is a file from this week
16418538611_674d284fac_o.jpgCopenhagen metro

Nikon D610 Nikkor 24-120/4 24mm f4 1/60@ISO800
Postprocessed in Aperture to convert to BW, then added a glow effect with TonalityPro

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

What a cool shot, Jerry! And I love the processing--going to have to check out TonalityPro.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Not much time to shoot right now with travel back and forth between Virginia and North Carolina, but did find a nice young lady working with her horse in a pen and she said I could grab a few shots.  I tried a couple as B&W and included one of them.  All with D4, 70-200, ISO400, f8, 1/1600...

Pecos-2304.jpg

Pecos-2310.jpg

Pecos-2313-2.jpg

Pecos-2324.jpg

Next week I hope to have some Gymnastics photos if the weather and travel cooperate!

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I planned on going out for some exercise and get some shooting in when I got home yesterday from work. By the time I got home the day had turned dreary cold and windy

16232637360_64f659c1ce_c.jpg

So I went in and fixed myself a cup of coffee and then the rain moved in and is still here.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

It's been a while but I've managed to get the camera back out and dusted off. I took this over the weekend as my daughter was about to head out for her birthday party.

Nikon D7100, 50mm prime F1.8G,  f/2.2, ISO-100

Attached Thumbnails

• Eden 2nd Birthday.jpg