Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Picture Quality - Help! Lightroom Issue?

quality size pixels lightroom

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

godyoureslow

godyoureslow

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Need help quick!  I have been shooting hockey.  We are going to try to do photobooks online.  Yesterday when working on the photobooks, any time my photo(s) were enlarged, I was told the quality was reduced, and/or it would be pixelated.  I wonder if it has anything to do with editing in Lightroom because the original file is over 4MB but after exporting back out of Lightroom, the file seems to be compressed to 150KB or smaller.  

I shoot a D7000.  My settings typically are as follows when shooting.  So what am I doing wrong?  Thank you for any feedback.

Image Size:  Large
Image Quality:  JPEG Fine

Mode:  manual

ISO: 2000

SS:  1/800

fstop:  typically 2.8

Focus: AF-C

WB:  Auto

Exp Comp:  +5.0 (must for that arena)
Metering:  Center Weight Avg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Check the settings in your export module. If you're exporting as jpeg, which your exported file size suggests, you're going to lose quality because the file is already a jpeg to start with and each time you save it, you're casting off more image pixels. If you've cropped the image during post processing, even more so.

Also, if you're reducing the image size when you export, you're going to lose quality... especially, when the picture is printed. I would think that for what you're doing you should export as tif (with lightroom adjustments) and at no less than 240dpi with full resolution. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Your export preset is probably set to constrain image size for web use. If you remove the check mark in the image size pane you will get the full size image. Remember to sharpen for paper (matt or glossy) instead of screen and set your jpg quality to 100. Save this preset.

Working in .jpg is all right as long as you don't save and save again several times. Every time you save a jpg it compresses the file again and you risk artifacts.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Good advise above.  You didn't indicate what lens you were using but I assume it was a 70-200 based on the aperture you indicated.  I haven't shot too much hockey but I've never had to use that high an exposure compensation (or any for that matter).  I generally run a higher ISO though...

I think they are correct on the export being your issue although if you are cropping significantly, that can do it too even if you've saved the best JPEG you can.  I recall some time ago when doing something similar and I had the application complain about my image quality on a few images that were fairly heavily cropped.  In one case I went ahead with it as I loved the image anyway and it turned out fine.  I did check the image on my system fairly carefully and didn't think it would be a problem...glad it wasn't...

That isn't to say that all images will be fine but, I expect they also try to protect you and themselves from a potential issue by warning on anything close...

dylanstricker16

dylanstricker16

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I think the above comments have you covered, but why don't you shoot in raw? After I edit I export as TIFF, AND have a JPG copy

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Shooting sports in RAW with the small and slow buffer of the D7000 is frustrating, that's why jpg is preferable.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Merco is correct.  Even with pro bodies most sports photographers shoot in JPG rather than in RAW.  I have shot a variety of sports with D7000, D600 and D4 and would never recommend shooting RAW for sports with anything other than the D4 - and I only shoot RAW with the D4 occasionally.  Usually it is JPG all the way when I'm shooting sports.  I've never encountered a situation where shooting sports in RAW rather than would have made any significant difference in my results.  The increase in frames per second and the additional images that you can get prior to the buffer filling on a D7000 FAR outweigh the benefits of RAW.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quality, size, pixels, lightroom