Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Flash suggestion

flash

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTurkey, Çankırı

I am planning to buy an external flash.

I did several searches about nikon speedlights and made comparisons.

I was using 540fgz when I had a pentax system.

I liked the size and GN of SB800.

Newer models, SB910-900 looks bigger and heavier, the reason should be zoom range I think.

I mostly use it at home and prefer bouncing, generally on camera but sometimes off-shoe and wireless triggering.
Am I on the right way to choose SB800? Is there any critical issue known for this flash?
Any suggestion is welcome.

Generally I dont prefer 3rd party flash equipment, but if you strongly suggest a model ( I guess it would probably be Metz), I will take it in account.

Thanks

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The SB800 is a workhorse without the overheating problems of the sb900. It works, and works well. The problem might be for how long it has worked well for the previous owner... Both condensers and flash tube have a finite life and a professional flash that has been in use for at least 7 years might be on the way out. If you can find one that has seen light amateur use, it is still one of the best flash guns you can get.

The SB700 is well worth looking at too. It has a lower GN, hasn't got any sync port and can't use external power packs, but they are about the same price new with a warranty as an at least 7 years old sb800. They are very dependable units with an easier to learn interface than the sb800.

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Peter, you are very hepful as always, great recommendations.

GN number of sb700 is similar to my previous pentax 360fgz.

I found it low when I obtained 540fgz, especially for bouncing applications.

Infact I liked sb910 except its size.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I've got an SB700. From my limited use it is pretty darn good. Much better than my Metz 52 on my Pentaxes. The TTL works heaps better. But as I said I really haven't put it through its paces. Flash isn't something I've had much use for.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Another factor to remember when comparing flash on a Pentax with flash on a D610 is the lower noise in the Nikon files. This means that you can raise ISO the step needed to get the same reach from the weaker flash.

I like my SB910-s and don't find them too heavy or bulky, but then I used Metz 60 and 45 potatomashers in the film days...

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag

Another factor to remember when comparing flash on a Pentax with flash on a D610 is the lower noise in the Nikon files. This means that you can raise ISO the step needed to get the same reach from the weaker flash.

I like my SB910-s and don't find them too heavy or bulky, but then I used Metz 60 and 45 potatomashers in the film days...

This is a good trick, I couldnt think it. 

What do you think of current metz, sigma or nissin flashes?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don't know what I think since I haven't used them. The Metz 64 seems interesting, though. The secondary reflector can give spectacular results if it works half as good as on the old 45.

closer

closer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTennessee

I have heard great things and seen good reviews on youtube about the Yongnuo Flash units. Amazon has one YN-568EX TTL for about 125 dollars. I haven't tried it yet, I'm just new and adding things to my camera bag as I need them. This flash is on my list. I just don't have the 300 bucks to spend on the Nikon flash right now.

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag

You can also look to cheap meike 910 unit, if you consider third party.

I heard good feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash