Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Learn to love auto ISO

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
I always use Auto-ISO for action shots with the dogs. I set a minimum shutter speed of 1/2000th and let the maximum ISO run up to 25,600 - a sharp grainy pic being better than a grainless movement-blurred one!

Incidentally, those settings are with the D850. With my old D610 I’d cap the ISO at 6400 but let the shutter speed drop to 1/1600th. Differences in the sensor.

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

I like photographing birds - one of the most difficult subjects to shoot in my opinion. All camera settings seem to come into play with these unpredictable little flippedygibbits. Many of the shots must be taken in darkened wooded areas, or on shaded tree branches, or while the subject is fidgeting around, or in flight. Sometimes shutter speed is most important, sometimes it’s aperture and DOF, and of course, accurate focusing is premier  For that reason I do most of my shooting in Manual mode where I can quickly choose shutter speed and aperture, and leave exposure to Auto-ISO.

My philosophy is simple, ANY shot is better than NO shot at all, when it comes to rapid-fire bird photography. I prepare what camera settings I can in advance, and get ready for quick adjustments.  For this reason I leave my Z 7 or D850 on Auto ISO (with no limits), and single point AF and spot metering. If the shot turns out grainy because of high ISO, I’ll hopefully do better during the next encounter. At least I have something to show for my efforts. God bless Auto-ISO.