Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Learn to love auto ISO

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, Chris.  I can't seem to find the ISP data on my playback screen though.  Probably just being dense about it . . .

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Up or down on the multi-selector when in playback, until you get to a screen with the shooting data overlay. You might need to turn something on in the playback menus.

I think you have a D7100. You should be able to set it up so that the ISO is shown in the viewfinder, that ought to be the ISO that will be used.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks.  I wonder if I changed something inadvertently -- I'm shooting RAW but I can't get the screens with additional info anymore.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I pretty much use it all the time when I'm shooting sports indoors or under the lights outside...Other than this weekend it has been great...Had a few of the frames get fooled so they came out with ISO under 1600 which meant pretty dark...they happened following a gymnast on the uneven bars from a fairly close angle with my 24-70...as she went up in the air, the meter saw enough light from the big lights on the ceiling that it dropped the ISO that far...lucky it was just a couple images and I saw what it was doing and adjusted my angles a bit...I got the close-ups I wanted even if I didn't get a few others that might have worked...I will use it outside for day games too, but if I'm getting consistant light, I move it to manual...either way, I typically narrow down the usable range so it doesn't wander too high...

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

New here and first post,but I use auto iso on manual. So I have complete control over my shutter speed and aperture. It tends to work very well for birds in flight or anything that might move somewhere shaded or more brightly lit. Set mine to a limit of 800 most times and 1600 if it dimmer outside. If I feel I need to lower my iso. I can simply reduce my shutter speed which is set at 1/2500 to 1/2000 or lower. My logic on this is that I would rather have complete control over depth of field and shutter speed than iso, which of course allows me to freeze the animals movements and gives me the appropriate Bokeh.  On my d7000 I don't find any that I can't easily deal with in pp.

Cymon

Cymon

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEast Grinstead

I use this feature all the time, you can still limit the ISO range so you stay in control. When I mentioned this on another forum I was meet with very negative feedback. But shooting manual with Auto ISO is a really cool, effective way to overcome changing light.

I love that this has been mentioned on this forum.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

On my D500 I can now limit the ISO when using flash separately from the non-flash auto-ISO - love it! So two settings for max ISO.

mhc

mhc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLlanon/Wales

With Auto ISO, I tend to shoot manual...I set my aperture and shutter speed as I like and let the ISO "wander" as it needs to.  Very useful in changing light...

Now that sounds like a good idea - might try that.

Mark

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i use most of time but when shooting in area where lighting change to much i have all time. but when i find sweet spot if shooting in one area i leave it off. since trying not to relay on it to much unless have too. you find use auto iso and a mode you find where you should be and can go full manual mode with out a, s or p mode since all you have to do is make small adjustment to it. found out for some action softball spots works great for me. 

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag
Auto ISO, along BBF and M mode, permits faster reaction
time in my wildlife shootings.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I like it and use it but I dislike the fact that it keeps flashing - to me flashing is an alarm signal!

By flashing, do you mean you see a blinking on the back screen?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You will probably not get an answer from bredies as he hasn't been active since 2013. I think he meant that the ISO or AutoISO text blinks on the top LCD and in the finder when the camera sets another ISO value than what you have set manually.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag
Tack för det, Peter!

Then, that flashing is very useful!

marat stepanoff

marat stepanoff

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

Until really recently I thought one of the stupidest features on a camera was auto ISO....

I use auto ISO in reportage shooting only.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I have been using this since I first read this article, its really good Except.  On my D5600 I went out to shoot the Milky Way and set everything to manual and 6400 ISO, the camera decided I only needed 1000 ish ISO and none of the pictures came out.   By the time I realized what was going on the clouds had closed in and blocked  the stars.  I'm not sure if all Nikons are the same but on my 5600 Auto ISO overrides the manual setting.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If AutoISO is turned on, it isn't overriding the manual setting - it is an Auto setting which is why it is named AutoISO.  Shooting in Manual mode only refers to aperture and shutter...turn AutoISO off and that gives you manual ISO...

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I beg to differ, at least for my camera.  When I set it in manual at f3.5 15 sec and ISO 6400, the Auto ISO re-set the ISO to a lower setting every time.  I had to turn it off once I figured out what it was doing.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I beg to differ, at least for my camera.  When I set it in manual at f3.5 15 sec and ISO 6400, the Auto ISO re-set the ISO to a lower setting every time.  I had to turn it off once I figured out what it was doing.

That is exactly what I said...AutoISO needs to be turned off or it will change the ISO if it feels the ISO should be changed.  They do provide a setting for max ISO as I recall.  I haven't used it in awhile...

As you discovered, the reality is that you are not shooting in "full manual" if you have AutoISO turned on since you are allowing the camera to determine the ISO.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing nor is it necessarily a good thing.  It is simply something to be aware of and use as one of your tools as you determine what you want from an image.  

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

That is exactly what I said...AutoISO needs to be turned off or it will change the ISO if it feels the ISO should be changed.  They do provide a setting for max ISO as I recall.  I haven't used it in awhile...

As you discovered, the reality is that you are not shooting in "full manual" if you have AutoISO turned on since you are allowing the camera to determine the ISO.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing nor is it necessarily a good thing.  It is simply something to be aware of and use as one of your tools as you determine what you want from an image.  

i leave  it where auto iso has set for max when shooting so i do not go to high when taking pictures. since might for get to check to see if has to much white noise or other issue.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

The point and shoot camera is the best when it comes to shooting
strategy: point and shoot… simply. The problem is that they are the
worst in terms of predictability, it has the control… not you!

To a student asking me: "why do you need such sophisticated came-
ras?" I answered: "to take control of the point and shoot cool strategy
in image hunting.

Auto ISO is an important element in the said approach.  :P