Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Learn to love auto ISO

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I agree - why flash that stuff when you've set it like that yourself, it's like they don't want us to use it.

Talv

Talv

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

The problem I have with it is when using flash, If the camera knows where I've focused and knows the flash is going to fire surely it should dip the iso otherwise I often end up with an over exposed photo.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I used to use Auto ISO on my D90s and I got away from it - seemed like it was slowing down my frame rate.  I have started using it again with my D600s and haven't noticed this problem.  I don't always use it, but it is a very handy tool.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

The problem I have with it is when using flash, If the camera knows where I've focused and knows the flash is going to fire surely it should dip the iso otherwise I often end up with an over exposed photo.

I believe it does. I went outside into the night with the D7100 and SB-900.

When I focussed on closer objects it lowered the ISO, definitely. So did my D300s.

Talv

Talv

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

I believe it does. I went outside into the night with the D7100 and SB-900.

When I focussed on closer objects it lowered the ISO, definitely. So did my D300s.

Ahh maybe my d5200 / sb400 doesn't then :( I will try again just incase!

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Coming from Pentax, I used TAv mode most of the time because it let you control the shutter speed and aperture and the camera adjusts the ISO accordingly.  I was thrilled to find out that my D610 has its own "TAv mode" in the form of Manual mode with Auto-ISO.  I use this most of the time, and I also set up one of the User modes, U1, for Manual mode with ISO set at 100 that I use for studio shots.  I set up the second user mode, U2, for Manual mode with Auto-ISO with 9-pt AF-C for fast action shots. 

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Coming from Pentax, I used TAv mode most of the time because it let you control the shutter speed and aperture and the camera adjusts the ISO accordingly.  I was thrilled to find out that my D610 has its own "TAv mode" in the form of Manual mode with Auto-ISO.  I use this most of the time, and I also set up one of the User modes, U1, for Manual mode with ISO set at 100 that I use for studio shots.  I set up the second user mode, U2, for Manual mode with Auto-ISO with 9-pt AF-C for fast action shots. 

Ditto, more or less, except U1 is my sports mode - manual with auto-ISO. I way prefer the U1 and U2 modes to the "banks" used by my D300s which I simply don't bother with any more.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Just set my camera up using these settings and saved to my second user setting. I love this feature of the 7100. the other user setting is set up for landscapes...bit it's tweekable depending on light and so on.

Andi Lo

Andi Lo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Auto ISO has made my photography simpler. Nikon's implementation of it is great. Particularly useful with Camera with great DR like D600 and D7000. I just wish there's an easy way to switch between auto and a set minimum shutter speed, as which I want to use really depends on the context.

Using the red button to do this while pressing ISO would be great to switch between auto and non auto shutter speed :)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

With Auto ISO, I tend to shoot manual...I set my aperture and shutter speed as I like and let the ISO "wander" as it needs to.  Very useful in changing light...

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I had never used the Auto ISO feature until I got my D7000, but now I use it all the time with a minimum of 100 and max 6400, works great and saves a lot of time too! I like others just need to remember to turn back to manual in other situations! :)

gfoster67

gfoster67

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationunited states

I upgraded to a d800 when they first came out and I still have not tried the auto ISO feature. It kind of scares me. I often shoot in low light or irregular light like a dark room with glaringly bright source of light like a window. Do you think auto ISO will work alright under conditions like that or should I stick with what I am doing?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Thanks for the tips!

I now have Auto ISO set up on my U1 dial, and HDR on U2. 

I knew those would come in handy sometime. 

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I upgraded to a d800 when they first came out and I still have not tried the auto ISO feature. It kind of scares me. I often shoot in low light or irregular light like a dark room with glaringly bright source of light like a window. Do you think auto ISO will work alright under conditions like that or should I stick with what I am doing?

Either way is fine. If you are ending up with the same settings then auto-iso is the go. Just make sure you set limits that you are comfortable with.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Really appreciate all the comments and helpful tips, but here am I as a person who has used auto for the past 5 years or so on my D40, trying to move away and set up all the settings myself. Where does one draw the line, where auto is concerned?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Tony,

In most cases, I only switch off AutoISO when I want full manual control.  Other than that, the only time you would really need to switch off AutoISO is when you wanted to be sure you were shooting with a particular ISO but wanted to let another setting (shutter, aperture or both) vary according to the available light. 

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

ISO doesn't affect the dof (depth of field, aperture and distance to subject control that) or the amount of blur (shutter speed controls that), it only affects the quality of the image (noise levels). So to get the photo you want, with the dof you want, and the amount of blur you want, set the aperture and ss, the ISO just affects the image noise which these days is pretty good up to, say ISO 800 (depending on your tolerance and your camera), so let ISO float up to that. The image itself is still going to look the same at ISO 100 or 200 really.

Or just carry an as you always have if you're happy with that. Nobody is saying you have to use auto-ISO. Every one will draw the line in a different place, depending upon their circumstances.

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

I try to go with max ISO 1600 for most shooting.  If I can't get it I will use a flash if available or adjust aperture and shutter speed before moving up in ISO.  It is a nice feature though and it's good to hear people's thoughts.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Just to clarify, if I'm using S priority, no need to set a minimum shutter speed, correct?  Would keeping it on "auto" work (that's one of the options for ss)?

Also, can I check which ISO the camera used for the shot without downloading the picture?

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Just to clarify, if I'm using S priority, no need to set a minimum shutter speed, correct? Would keeping it on "auto" work (that's one of the options for ss)?

Also, can I check which ISO the camera used for the shot without downloading the picture?

Traditionally, Auto ISO with S would only change the ISO if the aperture was wide open, or closed right down. There's no logical reason why the 'Auto' shutter speed setting in Auto ISO (too many autos) would bump up (or down) the ISO unless the aperture was maxed out one way or the other, but we've seen illogical things happen before, right?

There's no need to change the minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO menu if you're using Shutter Priority, the camera will not alter your selected shutter speed.

Most (all?) cameras let you overlay the shooting settings on the playback screen. If the ISO was changed by Auto ISO, the ISO used will be displayed in red.

Chris