Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dont have a clue about filters and lenses... DSLR Newbie

nikon compact dslr lenses filters art

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

NikonNewbie

NikonNewbie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Im getting d3200 soon (birthday gift so not sure when)... here are some accessories Im getting with it..

1. Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
  2. 52mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens
  3. High Def 52mm wide angle lens

filters

• UV filter absorbs ultraviolet rays to produce crisp, clear photographs
  • Polarizing filter eliminates reflections from non-metallic surfaces, and increases contrast and color saturation

FLD filter helps balance light in outdoor situations or where fluorescent lights are used

Never used anything past compact camera I am wondering if i have enough lenses /right kind to get a good start with taking wide range of photos?  also wondering about filters (my compact has built in ones for art etc..)  Im definitely clueless about buying any additional filter lenses etc...  I will have tripod and camera case slave flash etc...    

I am wanting to do more in my hobby so any ideas feedback are all welcome..  suggestions on what to buy ??

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Those telephoto and w/a adapters kind of works, but they degrade the quality quite a lot. They are better suited for a bridge camera where you can't change the lens than a DSLR. If you worry about not having enough reach, the twin-lens bundle (18-55 and 55-200) with the D3200 is terrific value for money.

UV and FLD filters are, like skylight filters leftovers from the analog era. The UV does nothing as there is an UV component in the filter pack on your sensor already. FLD was necessary with film as you couldn't tweak the white balance.

Protective filters, on the other hand are a good idea if you are scared of damaging your front element.

Polarizers are necessary in some situations...

NikonNewbie

NikonNewbie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks so much!

BenjaminJ

BenjaminJ

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan

I always use a polarizer on my lenses (except wide angle)

2nwyka

2nwyka

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello!

Good questions. I think most of your questions were answered by Merco_61, but I'll weigh in as well. 

To go a bit in-depth through your lens question, there are a few things you must understand. The Nikkor 18-55mm is Nikon's stock lens that comes on most of its D3000-series DSLRs. It's called a "kit" lens because, well, it comes in a kit. You can take a pretty wide range of pictures with it, from macro to landscape, but it won't produce the visually stunning results that a lens designed for either will. 

That's where the Zoom and Wide Angle adapters come in. Essentially what you're getting is a piece that will thread onto the end of your kit lens and give it a little more reach or a bit of a wider angle. Like Merco_61 said, they're pretty bad for sharpness. 

As a rule of thumb, the less glass between your subject and your sensor, the sharper your images will be. If you're not worried about being able to take pro-grade pictures right out of the box, then sure, that's a great purchase! If extreme clarity is important, though, I'd steer away from that. 

Filters are handy. As has been established, the UV filter is a throwback to film cameras. If you're shooting excessively bright UV sources like welding or the sun for long periods, you may want to throw that filter on there, but it's generally good if you use it similar to a screen-protector on your iPhone. It prevents your front element from getting scratched up and is a cheap alternative to a lens cap. 

Polarizing filters are nice, however. Their primary use in photography is cutting through reflections and glare. When I shoot tidal pools or large bodies of water, I use a Circular Polarizer and the images come out much less white and with a lot more underwater detail. 

Ultimately, it's up to you what you want. It sounds like what you're getting is a solid setup. One of my cameras is a D3000 and I love it, and a buddy of mine recently bought the D3200 and has been putting it to good use, so you're getting a good camera. 

I can't really recommend lenses or accessories until I know what kind of photography you'll be doing--macro, portrait, still-life, landscape, action, etc--but the stock lens will do well for you as you learn. 

Any further questions?

Noah

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I use a UV on my D750 with Sigma 24-105 lens for protecting the lens.  Am I distorting my images?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Deano - not if it is a quality filter...I know folks who swear by having a quality filter on each of their lenses and I know those who believe they shouldn't be used. I've seen filters destroyed that saved lenses too...In my case, I usually have a filter (and hood) for all my lenses. Running around with gear - often on dirt / grass fields and around fast moving subjects, I like the added protection. In the event I felt it was impacting my images, I'd be removing them and that is always an option for some ultra-important shot if I feel the need...

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Thanks.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

I always use a polarizer on my lenses (except wide angle)

Don't. A polarizer reduces available light by about 2 stops. So unless you are shooting landscapes in daylight, I would take it off.

george.kastanas83

george.kastanas83

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi everyone sorry to start a conversation again. I have a d3200 with kit lens but I have been told to get a Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX because it can take portrait pics. I am also going to bali for my wedding and want to take some honeymoon snaps. Is this a good lense for any of that... thank you in advance

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone sorry to start a conversation again. I have a d3200 with kit lens but I have been told to get a Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX because it can take portrait pics. I am also going to bali for my wedding and want to take some honeymoon snaps. Is this a good lense for any of that... thank you in advance

A 50mm F1.8 might be better for portraits, but the idea of going for a prime is a good one.

george.kastanas83

george.kastanas83

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Adam I will look into a 50mm as well.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

When looking for new lenses, don't forget that you need AF-S versions to use autofocus on the D3200. The older screw-drive autofocus relies on a motor in the body that the D3200 doesn't have.

george.kastanas83

george.kastanas83

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Merco_61 very helpful. Im new at all this and it helps to know any other info will be helpful as well..

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

When choosing between 35 and 50 mm for *your* use, a small piece of vinyl tape and your kit zoom can be used for a simple exercise. Just lock the zoom ring with the tape at the focal length you are interested in and shoot some tests, then set the other f/l and compare the results. Which felt better? Get that lens first... You will probably end up owning both sooner or later anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, compact, dslr, lenses, filters, art