Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D800 Issues?

nikon d800 issues problems difficulties

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

tifloyd

tifloyd

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationKansas City, MO

I got the beautiful Nikon D800 about a year ago. I had no problems with it and LOVED it until one week before the 1 year warrantee was about to exipire.  I had just finished shooting a graduation weekend with over 3000 pictures. The next day (after a fully charged battery) I went to another event. I had been shooting for about a half hour when I turned off the camera to swop out a lens, when I had put the lens back on & flipped the power switch, nothing happened. I fiddled with it for a while & tried everything I could think of. There was NO power what so ever in the body. I borrowed a friends camera to finish shooting the day. I called Nikon & had a chat with them for a while. They claimed that this was a new issue that no one else had reported and reccommended that I just charge the battery. When I got home, to my charger, it turned out that my battery was in fact fully charged. Still no power. I sent it off to Nikon just before my warrantee ran out. They had it for about a month. I got it back with no explanation as to what they did to it, but it was working again so I didn't complain.  It has worked great ever since. 

The only other issue I've had with it is it will stop importing occasionally for no reason. The green light will stay on indicating its doing something... its almost like it freezes up in mid inport. It isn't a big deal when I only have a few shots to inport... but when I'm dumping 300+ pics off & it taks about 30 attempts to get all of them, it gets old.  Of course, the warrantee is long gone and Nikon won't fix anything for free on it.

So my quesion is, has anyone else had these issues with the D800? Or have you had your own collection of mishaps that you'd like to share just in case anyone else runs into the problems and would like to know that they aren't alone in their woes :D

Oh I should note that despite my issues, I am still a loyal nikonian, and still love my D800 :D

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The only issue I have had is that when using a third-party battery, the camera likes to shut itself down with the mirror still up.  Then, it will just say [err] on the screen and what you have to do is press the shutter release button to reset it- nothing else will force the mirror down (not LV, not the power switch).

With the original Nikon battery I haven't experienced any issues, yet!

Cliff George

Cliff George

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have had a freeze like this, but if I drop the battery and reinsert it seems fine.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

yea, But like you said you charged the battery again and it WAS fully charged then you put it back in and nothing… Sir, i do not know iv done shoots with about 2k weddings and just large multiple portrait day sessions on a D600 which is less "Pro" and it worked fine. i honestly think it could of been a one off kind of thing maybe a bump or gradually some wires came loos in the body.

When they gave you your camera back did it have the same Serial number or did they hit you up with a new one?

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

Tifloyd: With regards to your second problem: am I right? Are you using USB cable to move images from your camera to PC? What about card reader? 36Mpix images via USB cable - this means trouble no matter what :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d800, issues, problems, difficulties