Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NEVER EVER DO THIS

flash unit speed light speed-light external flash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

randythebest

randythebest

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon camera users - novice or expert. It pays to have knowledge about speed lights. I would say I am at the moderate level with using cameras. I currently use a D200. Nice camera. But alas, I am not a big manual reader (that has recently changed). So never, ever put a non- compatible flash unit on your camera. It throws a curve at the camera's computer. I thought an old speed-light would work on my D200. Of course it didn't. And my camera was glitch ridden afterwards. I spent a week trying to resolve the glitches on my D200. So on a whim, I purchased a D200 compatible flash unit, and the instant I attached it to my hot shoe, the glitches disappeared, and the camera works flawlessly (as if it was thanking me). I know some of you pros out there are laughing, but I'm lazy. Occasionally I have to learn the hard way... Advice to my fellow lazy friends out there. RZ

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Does it still work when you take the compatible flash off of the hotshoe?

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

What flash did you put on it that caused all the problems?

randythebest

randythebest

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

What flash did you put on it that caused all the problems?

Brian - the SUNPAK 433 D. Which worked on my D60... made for early Nikons.

Does it still work when you take the compatible flash off of the hotshoe?

Thumper - No, the camera was a disaster even after I took the non-compatible flash off... The Camera was brought back to it's normal self once I attached a compatible unit. Now the D200 works like a charm, with or without the new compatible unit on the shoe.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

That is crazy. Sounds like incompatible firmware. 

I have some old flashes that dump the capacitor through the Hot-Shoe, an original Vivitar 283 and 292. I bought the 283 for the Elvis concert in 1974. I'm sure Elvis saw it.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

Now is a good time for me to read this (Sarcastic speaking) . I am not a flash user persay. I have an old flash  I tested the trigger voltage with my DVOM and it is extremely low so I tried it on my old Pentax DL and my K-30 when I bought it a couple of years ago,no problems . Today I thru it on my D70 again no problems to finally get around to learning flash.  It is an old Albinar thyristor twin flash. If this site had been up earlier today I may have been afraid to try it. But then again maybe not. 

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTurkey, Çankırı

There is always a possible risk to harm the camera because of voltage incompability and pin assignment differences of third party flashes.

Be very careful to use them.

randythebest

randythebest

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

There is always a possible risk to harm the camera because of voltage incompability and pin assignment differences of third party flashes.

Be very careful to use them.

Akanarya - That is very good advice, I had no idea that simply attaching a flash could be so harmful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash unit speed light, speed-light, external flash