Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backdrop Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DarrenJudson

DarrenJudson

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi All, though this might be the best place to pose this question.

I'm now well on my way to building a decent 'amature' set up.

I currently have a;

D5300
50mm F1.8
Tamaron 70-300
Lightstand and hotshoe bracket
White shoot through umbrella
Yonguno 560tx wireless controller
Yonguno YN560 flash (when it arrives)

What I'm looking at now is getting the correct studio style backdrop. I've had a look at some cheap ones on amazon and the reviews aren't brilliant (mainly due to the creases).

My question is what is the best material (value vs quality) to get. I'm mainly wanting white or black backgrounds. Are there any materials to stay away from (ones that bounce too much light back etc)

What backdrops do you guys who use them go with?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I usually have black and white colorama or Mo-domsjö paper backgrounds that I buy by the 30m roll and some muslins and velours that I roll up when they are not in use. They cost real money but it saves a lot of frustration in the long run. Thin white muslins are very useful as they can be backlit with gelled flashes to give lots of choice in background colour with only one backdrop.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

For what I do, flower photography, I use foam core boards and relatively cheap fabrics. You can get fairly large foam core boards in just about any color at most art supply places for very little money. Of course, if you're planning on doing full body portraits then this won't work for you. However, they work fairly well for head and shoulder portrait shots as long as you set the boards at least two or three feet behind your subject and light your subject from an angle. 

Of course, if you can afford it, the materials Peter mentioned will be more versatile. 

--Ron

DarrenJudson

DarrenJudson

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
Well I took the plunge and just ordered a 1.35m by 11m Artic White Colorama backdrop. Don't have a stand but I'm sure I can knock something up out of an old clothes rail or summat haha