Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Gear Excitement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DarrenJudson

DarrenJudson

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
Borning topic for you all but I'm so excited I just had to post.

My D5300 has turned up today (not allowed it until Christmas day though ) and I've just ordered myself a nice prime 50mm f1.8 lens.

Can't wait to get cracking with this gear. After using an old canon eos 300d with an 18-55mm kit lens I'm sooo looking forward to using some real gear!!

I know it's not a patch on some of the gear that some guys have on here but for me it's a huge step up.

Roll on the 25th!!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D5300 is a nice and capable body. Going from the eos will mean a much brighter and larger viewfinder and much less noise at high ISO, you will probably need to tweak your processing a bit to get as good skin tones as you have been used to (the only advantage the eos 300d has over more modern bodies...).

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Congrats!

The 5300 is an amazing camera. People get jaded so quickly with new gear and stats that they forget that a modern "entry-level" DSLR would crush (or at least match) the performance of a Pro-body from just a few years ago. This is especially true when you consider the price point. 

Case in point: The 5300 is, in some ways, better than the D3... at something like 1/5 the cost:

Capture.JPG

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Fly over here, it's the 25th over here 13 hours before there!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Woo-hoo!! Just a few more days! It will be fun to see what you do with it. Hope you're patient and willing to sit down with your manual…switching to Nikon from Canon isn't that a big a deal, but you might find a few things labeled differently and in different places. (I tried to help a guy with a Canon just last week--got him on manual but had a hard time figuring out how to change aperture settings…and forget ISO. Left him on auto-ISO, ha ha! Poor guy.) The whole AV and TV thing makes no sense to me…but I've always shot Nikon, so I'm used to A and S...which make more sense to me--A=aperture and S=shutter…I don't even know what TV stands for. AV for aperture value is logical, but TV? What?

I really should learn a bit about the Canon system, just so I can get around their cameras if I ever need to.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tv=Time value, I think. The most difficult retraining is the reversed directions of *everything*. Another nice thing in going from a 300d, 350d or 400d to a D5xxx Nikon is that you no longer need to poke yourself in the eye when setting the aperture in manual...

DarrenJudson

DarrenJudson

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for all the support and info guys. I'm looking forward to sharing some of my photos once I get cracking.

I think I'm more excited by the f1.8 50mm prime lens at the moment. The 300d really struggled in anything but extremely bright light so it will be interesting so see what I can capture with the wide apature lens and the 5300's better ISO range.

Just hoping my old man got me the flash and wireless transmitter kit that I asked...sorry...begged for and my started kit will be nigh on complete!