Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tripods

tripods

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

gerberjr

gerberjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwhittier

what kind of tripod would anyone say is one of the best to get.

Jaculinb4

Jaculinb4

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIllinois, USA

I have three Manfrotto Tripods and one monopod....love them all!  Be sure to pay attention to weight load, when buying.

Francois Marcoux

Francois Marcoux

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been using Gitzo tripods, as was said above check your weight ratings. Both Gitzo and Manfrotto are excellent choices, if you are to go with carbon fiber tripods, just make sure your gear is heavy enough to weight down the tripod, the tripod should easily reach your chin without using the extension arm, this will add stability to your setup.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

At the lower price points, I'm fond of the SLIK AMT PRO line. Well made, sturdy, not too expensive. I have the 700 DX which is like a tank, and I'm extremely jealous of my daughter's 330 DX.

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

They say the tripod should weigh as much as the camera/lens combo.

Some say it should be twice as heavy.

Stay away from cheep stuff.

I find, for now, I have little need for a tripod.

Peace

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Stay away from cheep stuff.

I find, for now, I have little need for a tripod.

Peace

Think mines 5X as heavy just dont ask me the make its 25 years old from when I shot film!! might need a lighter one next year though for when we go on holiday

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Someone told me, not too long ago, that in terms of searching for a tripod, consider three things:

Low weight (as in how much the tripod itself weighs)

Stability

Low(er) Cost

He said to pick any 2 and run with it.    In my searching, I have found that he was not wrong.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

About like this is ideal? :D

2128140979_b37e6346a2_z.jpg?zz=1
DSCF9358 tripod by Nesster, on Flickr

2128142339_35c0f87784_z.jpg?zz=1
beauty and beasty by Nesster, on Flickr

Bonobo

Bonobo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
I've got a Photo clam carbon fiber tripod that works great for travel. Very lightweight.

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

a  Manfrotto  MK294A3-D3RC2     :)

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Depends on your aims. I have Slik SprintMini and Continent a2. First is for hicking, it is lightweight and enough stable, but it isn't high. Second I use in city it is heavy and more stable than first, also it is high enough that's why work with it is more comfortable.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have three tripods and two monopods.  One tripod I've had for at least 30 years and it is still just the right combination of weight and stability.  I have taken lots of great photos with that tripod.  I have never used the other two for my still cameras.  One we used for videos and the other was a gift from my wife a couple of years ago, but I haven't had the need for a tripod in that time.  Monopods I have an old, heavy monopod that I don't use too often any more and a nice carbon-fiber one that I always have with my gear on a shoot unless I know I won't need it.  Normally there is even something attached to it.  I usually get all the gear loaded in the bag except what I'm putting on the monopod and that's all set before I head out.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I love my Manfrotto legs, but I need a new ballhead--a pretty heavy duty one that can hold the weight of my D600 and a 14-24mm lens. The ballhead I currently have does great with my primes, but it can't hold the heavy zoom.

Any recommendations?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I love my Manfrotto legs, but I need a new ballhead--a pretty heavy duty one that can hold the weight of my D600 and a 14-24mm lens. The ballhead I currently have does great with my primes, but it can't hold the heavy zoom.

Any recommendations?

I use a Really right stuff BH-55, it holds my D700, the old Kodak DCS-760 or a F4 with a 180/2.8AI or a 300/4.5ED still enough to pass the tap test and is easier to set the friction right on for panning than an Arca-Swiss or Markins. It is fully Arca-compatible and can use RRS, Kirk, Arca, Cullmann or Novoflex L-plates, cameraplates, macro rails and panning bases.

It has been on a set of Berlebach ash legs, a Manfrotto 055 and now lives on a Gitzo Reporter tripod. On the wooden tripod I used it for landscape work with a Linhof Technica 8X10" with a Super Angulon. They are not cheap, but sturdy, and compared to the Burzynski heads that are seen by most as the *best* they are relatively cheap.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I use a Really right stuff BH-55, it holds my D700, the old Kodak DCS-760 or a F4 with a 180/2.8AI or a 300/4.5ED still enough to pass the tap test and is easier to set the friction right on for panning than an Arca-Swiss or Markins. It is fully Arca-compatible and can use RRS, Kirk, Arca, Cullmann or Novoflex L-plates, cameraplates, macro rails and panning bases.
It has been on a set of Berlebach ash legs, a Manfrotto 055 and now lives on a Gitzo Reporter tripod. On the wooden tripod I used it for landscape work with a Linhof Technica 8X10" with a Super Angulon. They are not cheap, but sturdy, and compared to the Burzynski heads that are seen by most as the *best* they are relatively cheap.

Wow!!

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

A big +1 for the RRS ballheads.  I have the BH-40 with Pro II clamp, and use with RRS L plates or camera/ lens plates.  Quality build.  Not cheap.  Should last a lifetime unless I have an accident.  I do wish I had gone with the BH-55 though.  There are times where the 40 has been just a bit "minimal".

I need to replace my tripod.  Probably going to go RRS there as well.

IMHO, for tripods don't go too cheap.  Even if it means you take more time to save money before buying.  I've spent more money over the last 30 years buying and upgrading tripods than I would have spent on a really nice one.  :(   Of course if you need one right now... do what you need to do.

Clearly Limited

Clearly Limited

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthwest Kansas

I use a Gitzo sys 5X carbon for my big stuff and have a smaller induro alum. i got used that I have had great luck with just depends on the body and lens you stick on it.  I been a fan of Acratech ballheads since they came out and they have served me very well.