Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Macro Lens

macro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I'm thinking of buying a Macro lens, however im not sure which one to go for. I want one that will work on my D7100 but also will work on FX should I choose to get an FX body in the future.

As always it will come down to how much I want to spend. at the moment i'm still just looking but would be able to spend about £300 - £400, I could always hold off and save a bit more funds to ensure I got the best I could.

So, if you have any advise or comments, please share.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it won't have to double as a portrait lens, why not look at the old 105/4AI. It is the sharpest of all the 105 MicroNikkors, and gives more working distance than the VR.

The 60 MicroNikkor is a good performer but it can be difficult to light your subject well with the short working distance.

New, you can find either a Tokina 100mm or a Tamron 90mm lens in about your price range, they are both very good even if the best Nikkors are better.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
I can only support what Peter has already said.

I am actually using the 60mm Nikkor, which works well, both on DX and FX, but With the FX the closest point you can get is just a bit more than the length of the hood - so the hood will not allow for extra light. (That said, obviously you do not need to go that close) - so will look at some moment intonthe 105mm.

While the 60mm is the one that is in your current budget range, the 105mm will give you a bit more options.

Don't know what its worth, but I recently saw a Sigma 150mm which was qualified as a Macro lens. http://www.sigmaphot...hsm-apo-macro-2

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I'm using the Nikkor 105 and like it.  I purchased it refurbished from Nikon, about 2/3 the cost of a new one.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I have the 40mm DX lens for my D7100 and like it. It is an excellent all purpose lens, not a dedicated portrait lens, not a dedicated wide angle landscape lens either.

You have to use your feet more with a lens like this one, if you know what I mean. It is also the least expensive of the Nikon macro lenses. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I agree that the 40 is good value for money, so is the 85. Rob specifically asked about FX capable lenses which is why I didn't mention them.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm also using the 105mm--new version. I know Peter prefers the old versions. :) I was very close to getting the Tamron 90mm but decided it was too close in focal length to my Nikkor 85mm.

The 105 is really nice, though I've been using it for portraits and food photography more than for macro shots. 

Here's the first macro shot I took with it:

14643728506_ec627ceaf0_b.jpgOne-legged grasshopper by nbanjogal, on Flickr

I haven't done much macro, but I am hoping we'll get some snow here sometime soon so I can try some snowflake shots.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That's a really great shot Nicole.

I've been looking at the 105, again it just comes down to funds.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll have a look around and see what prices are like. I really like the option of having a longer reach. So it may be either the Tokina 100mm or the Nikon 105mm.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Love the bokeh halo around the grasshopper Nicole!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I also have the 60mm AF-D Micro Nikkor and, while it's a great lens, if I were buying a Macro lens today I think I'd get the 105 Nikkor.

I don't have any experience with either the new or old MF version so I can't really comment except to say that, for me at least, AF is a waste. I leave my 60mm set to manual focus all the time. Also, I'm not sure how much benefit VR is for a macro lens. Perhaps if you're not really getting too close, then it might help a little. Otherwise, the camera should be on a tripod anyway. At least it has to be with my old shaky hands. 

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have the current 105 on my list - probably #1 on my lens list :) - and hope to be able to pick it up before summer.  After this whole move thing gets sorted out, I have to sell some bodies and pick up a second body and then I will be looking to get the 105 as soon as I can afterwards.  Good luck!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Looks like it's the 105 that's the winner. Hopefully you'll settle in soon and can start to enjoy your new home. I have a few things to get for my new home first but the macro lens is the next piece of equipment on my list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: macro