Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wife wants to buy me a Christmas gift

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
So my wife would love to buy me a Christmas gift that is photography related and that it will get use out of and it cannot be a consumable. Her budget is only $100 Canadian. The problem is.... my kit is pretty much complete

D800
Grip
16-35 f4
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8 vr2
50 1.4
85 1.8
135 2.0
And flashes

So I've been digging around and all I can really find in her budget that might be useful is the Passport Color Checker. I already got a monitor calibration too, ND filters for both my zooms and my 135... so I'm at a loss of what else could be had

Anyone got any ideas?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
A bag to put it all in :-)

Or how about a light modifier of some sort, or a light meter and go to the M side!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Wow!  Tough call...maybe she could increase the budget a bit and get you a 400 f2.8 :)

Maybe some extra cards or batteries (meaning camera, not for flash)...new strap?  Weather cover?  Software plug-ins? Backup disks / more disk space?

That's one of the problems with photography - not a lot of "inexpensive" gift options!

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I already got four bags for varying situations. The only bag I want/need now is for my lighting gear. For light modifiers I got tons, a snoot, gels, grids...only thing to add now is a strip box for my studio lights. She doesn't want to get me cards or batteries as they are consumables. A weather cover, I have Pentax gear for outdoor shooting without it. For plugins I got the VSCO collection, Capture One, a Adobe CC subscription, and Topaz Denoise. I just spent a fortune upgrading my computer and adding 3 2tb disks to my system. I already shoot full manual and have not had a need for a light meter, I've been pretty good at guessing the power I need from my flashes already.

This is what makes it difficult because my want list is pretty short. I'm at the point where I'm pretty close to happy with my kit and for what I shoot there is very little I need to fill the gaps. I would love another battery pack for my flash heads, but that's $200, and she already told me no. I would love that light modifier, but its $250. I would love a Prophoto B1...but yea she won't do that for me while we are still paying for our kitchen. I mentioned more light stands/boom stand but she doesn't think that's a present as she considers it a consumable.

I tried to get her to think outside the box and buy me a Lego B-Wing (to complete my Starwars fighter collection) but that opened a can of worms I don't even want to try and explain! :)

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Rogue Flash Bender, stand for reflectors, Ray Flash ring, backdrop, wifi adapter, flash commander (Debao), Polarizer.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

There are some useful things to be had...

MC-30A is not too far over budget if you don't have one already.

SG-31R and a small reflector or two.

A flash stand and a softbox or umbrella for your speedlights.

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTurkey, Çankırı

raynox? 

it seems that you dont have a macro setup.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Or for something fun and just a complete toy…Topaz Impression plugin. Though I guess that goes a bit over the Canadian $100 since it's $99 US

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

My macro kit is with my Pentax kit (K3 with DFA 100mm Macro, 50mm Macro, and DA 35mm Macro.

I find the APSC FOV is more beneficial for Macro than that of 35mm format.

I will suggest the cable release to her though.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'd keep pushing for the 400 2.8 or a D4s if she doesn't want to spring for the lens :)

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I'm already tried on a 645Z, but pretty much got told that if I ever mentioned something that costs more than her car that I could pretty much think about sleeping on the couch for a while.

akanarya

akanarya

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTurkey, Çankırı

My macro kit is with my Pentax kit (K3 with DFA 100mm Macro, 50mm Macro, and DA 35mm Macro.

I find the APSC FOV is more beneficial for Macro than that of 35mm format.

I will suggest the cable release to her though.

full macro setup ha :)

why didnt you consider to get sigma 150mm instead? just wondering

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I do little to no macro. And i prefer to keep my lenses first party. I've tried sigmas, but the new ART 50 for my Nikon is the only one I loved.

I do have it just in case, but in can count on one hand how many times I've gone "oh I'll use my macro for this"

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Can never have to many cards. Memory has been inexpensive for a few years now.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Can never have to many cards. Memory has been inexpensive for a few years now.

she doesn't wanna get me consumables including cards

Veloman

Veloman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationExmouth,Devonshire.UK

Site Supporter

Tell her to buy you a photographic voucher for $10 and to wrap it up in the remaining $90.She feels good for buying a present,and you've got $90 for a stash of whisky .It makes sense to me..but,there again,I'm a man,what do I know about the workings of a ladies mind. :D

• dem likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm already tried on a 645Z, but pretty much got told that if I ever mentioned something that costs more than her car that I could pretty much think about sleeping on the couch for a while.

Well, I can understand that one...probably a good call not to push then :)

she doesn't wanna get me consumables including cards

Personally, I've never consumed a card, but, hey, whatever works!  I'll stick with a beautifully grilled steak!  :)  

I would assume that a gift card is out of the question since you might end up spending it for your next grilled card...how about something along the lines of a class, some studio time, or a model's time?  Maybe plan on using it towards a tour or something on your next vacation for some photography?  How about a plane / helicopter tour locally that would allow for some arial photography (or something similar on the ground)?  You are certainly in an area where you could get some stunning images that way!

Tough to come up with ideas!

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

om-nom-nom-nom mmmmmmmm memory

in all seriousness, she sees things that we replace often as a consumable, including light stands, memory cards, filters, batteries...and I know you "can never have enough" but I got 5 light stands, about 8 32gb high speeds cards, and I dont' use filters aside from variable ND's. I also got five spare batteries. So I'm covered. :) She wants the present something that I would use often and would my workflow in one way or the other. I actually work with a few professional fashion photographers on a regular basis lately and I'm getting a lot of hands on training there (think of it like an inters hip) while I'm getting into that element of the industry and leaving the music side behind. I already tried to buy her (us) a trip to Hawaii or Berlin for Christmas but got shot down pretty freakin hard! she wants a Kitchen. stupid woman. you can travel the world and take photos in a kitchen (unless its a camper van)

Veloman

Veloman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationExmouth,Devonshire.UK

Site Supporter

Insist on having the money W,and just let her know who wears the trousers in your castle.When you pick yourself off the deck and done the washing up,tell her a gumshield would be a nice practical present.  :wacko:

PS,As you've gathered,I'm as handy as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to suggesting presents .Sorry mate.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

Buy her a new car, then you have a better margin for fitting in some more expensive photostuff :)

If that is out of price, offer *her* a camera, then she will find out all what is usefull, as well as what it costs.

Seriously, this seems to be a pretty taff question, considering all the stuff you already have - and of which you mention that you are happy with.

I'd rather go and buy myself the smaller items which are over her budget, but not out of price, and then ask her to offer you some trip or Week-End together with her, somewhere where you also will find some interesting subjects for you to take captures.