Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor 18-140mm or Nikkor 18-200mm?

nikkor 18-140 18-140mm 18-200 18-200mm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Eli_Wilson

Eli_Wilson

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello forum! I need some advice on which Nikkor lens would be best for me, I don't have a fat wallet so I usually shoot with one all-purpose lens. 9/10 of the time I'm shooting trains or something related to trains, sometimes I like hard-looking, high contrast, sharp pictures, but also want a quick-focusing camera so I don't miss "the shot". I have two exaples down below, this train was going about 45mph and the shot I had in mind was a frame in between the two pictures, the one pic was taken too soon and the other was taken to late (in my opinon), I was (and still am) shooting with a D5100 and Tamron 18-270mm which I regret purchasing 3 years ago. The lens just takes forever to auto-focus a train and I've found myself many-a-time switching to manual focus because it would refuse to focus in on a shot! (especially when the subject was moving fast or it was precipitating outside). So I'm fed up with the lens and am looking for a Nikon alternative. I've narrowed it down to the 18-140mm or the 18-200 I know the 140 will probably be sharper but what I'm really looking for is what shoots faster, or which one auto-focuses the quickest?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0132 copy.jpg
  • DSC_0133 copy.jpg

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I think the 18-140 has a shorter throw, so it should AF faster.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I used to use the 18-200 when I had a D90. When I got my D7100 I continued to use the 18-200. Howerver, with the higher pixel count I started to notice the 18-200's flaws. Fall off in the corners was large and sharpness overall didn't look as good as it did on the D90. If you look back to when the 18-200 first came out it was never designed to be on a high pixel count DSLR. Of course that's just my opinion through my own experience. I replaced my 18-200 with Nikkor's new 18-300. The 18-300 transformed my D7100. The pictures were sharp one end to the other and focus was noticeably faster. A lot is made of the 18-300's f6.3 on the 300 end. I have yet to have this be an issue. In fact I've gone into several low light situations where I thought I would have to switch to my prime low light lens and did not have to. My advice is don't buy the 18-200 if your sensor is above 12 megapixels.    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikkor, 18-140, 18-140mm, 18-200, 18-200mm