Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backing Up Your Images

backup storage

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Twanky

Twanky

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

Seems i do the same as most people. RAW files burnt to dvd and finished (post production) jpegs uploaded to Flickr

AndyLewis

AndyLewis

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

I use 2 external hard drives to store and back up my images 

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

I highly recommend online backup to protect against HD failure, theft, fire, etc.  Crashplan is who I now use but there are others.  A few offer unlimited encrypted space.  It's saved me from losing all my images at least 1 time.

ogs123

ogs123

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
1) From SD card to main hard drive in my computer.
2) Backup new pictures from main hard drive to second hard drive, before reformatting SD card
3) Backup to Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). It might be slow but what"s the hurry? And it's less than 10 cents/GB/month. It's always important to have an offsite backup in case of fire or other local disaster.

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I might have to check out NCH compression. 

JoyN87

JoyN87

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Country Flag

I used USB drive, just in case.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

This thread has made me realise that I am seriously under-backing-up.  Yikes.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Does anyone use programmes to store their photos? I am a mac person and have been storing photos on iphoto and I also have a flicker account which I mainly use to share photos with others. I think it is important to store in more than one place - i.e. backup. But the problem I have discovered is having some method to catalogue and find photos at a later date in amongst thousands others. The additional problem which is highlighted above is the time taken to upload and download to clouds. Photos are so precious that I would not want to loose them if a cloud main server crashed or went out of business. Trying to find the balance without making it a massive task.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

In Lightroom you can store and back up photos pretty easily. 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Thanks K-9. What are the facilities of lightroom in terms of finding photos at a later date?

rockjedi

rockjedi

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag
I have mine backed up on my external hdd. They on my comp too. Plus the better shots are saved onto my skydrive and flickr. I've also started backing up to a second hdd too now.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

In Lightroom you can store and back up photos pretty easily. 

And you can relocate the files at any time then re-point LR to the new file location.  I do that all the time.  Copy from SD Card to internal drive. Import to LR.  Process images and export chosen images.  Move originals from internal to external drive and then repoint LR to the external drive space.  I don't have much space on my internal drive as it is a solid state drive.  Nice and fast for dumping and editing.  I usually move the originals when I won't be on the system for awhile, so it just chugs away moving the files while I'm busy elsewhere. 

Still looking at cloud options but plan to backup from externals to cloud - currently backing up to other externals.

An experience I had many years ago will hopefully help everyone realize that they need to make sure they have their backups covered.  I photographed a wedding on New Year's Eve several years ago.  I dumped all the images to the laptop and began to process them.  As I was going through the images, the hard drive died.  I always backed everything up once I'd finished the editing.  I had another shoot a day or so later and had already reformatted my card before the hard drive died.  I found some software that allowed me to recover ALL the deleted images from my card, so I was able to complete the job, but it sure scared me for awhile.  Anything that critical will be in a minimum of two places as soon as I can get them there!  Most of my shooting isn't that critical, but you never know, so I am extremely careful. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Thanks K-9. What are the facilities of lightroom in terms of finding photos at a later date?

If you use the built-in DAM (Digital Asset Management) tools (keywords, collections and captions), and reuse keywords instead of reinventing them it is quite easy to find years old files. Keywording is boring, but without it you can quickly get into trouble finding the file you want. Aperture is even better as a DAM tool, but weaker for editing. The Aperture database is used for Spotlight too, so you can find your files without opening Aperture. That integration is not available any other way.

There is a book that has helped me tremendously over the years, it is: The DAM Book by Peter Krogh, ISBN-13: 978-0596523572. 496 pages of tips and workflow philosophy to be able to find your files and keep track of what customer have seen which pictures.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I use external HDD and internal HDD of my PC. But I don't tjink that it is the best way to store photos.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backup, storage