Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SU-800 with SB-800 and SB-600 - Basic settings for portraits

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Frank O

Frank O

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm new to working with flash gear, and am interested in using an SU-800 commander with one SB-800 and one SB-600 speedlight for basic portraits. The settings on the commander and speedlights appear pretty extensive. Two questions:

-- Can you recommend basic settings as a starting point for simple portraits? Among other things, I'm wondering about TTL vs manual, setting each of the speedlights for channel/group, etc.

-- Will any of this depend on the camera model used? I may be trying more than one.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Set all units to the same channel but the flashes to different groups to control them individually.

iTTL simplifies most things, but manual flash is more predictable.

If you use iTTL, assign a button on the body to FV lock to avoid the dreaded iTTL blink (the preflash triggers a blink reflex, and the eyelid is almost always a bit closed as a result).

What body will you be using? Pro and prosumer bodies except the single-digit cameras can use the pop-up flash as a master for up to two groups. This makes the SU-800 less necessary. It is still easier to use a commander unit but it is not absolutely vital.

What ambient light do you have in the studio? If you have fluorescent lighting, avoid shorter shutter speeds than 1/60 to  get consistent results and gel your flashes with a suitable green filter to suit the fluos. White balance for that colour temp.

Read up on flash placement, the Strobist site is a good place to start, especially if you want to really learn how manual flash works.

Joe McNally's "The hot shoe diaries" is a good resource when you have mastered the basics.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

There's also this commander (link below).  It has better range than the Nikon version and supposedly has all the features.  It's about 1/3 the price.  I haven't bought one yet, though.  The popup is good enough for me at the moment.  

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Frank O

Frank O

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I guess I should mention that I already have the SU-800, as well as the SB-800 and SB-600, and in fact have attended a couple of Joe McNally's seminars and have his "Hot Shoe Diaries." Working with strobes is something I've been meaning to do "real soon now" for quite some time, but only recently have I made the time to be able to focus on this. I appreciate the warnings about iTTL blink and fluorescent light (which is not an issue for my situation). Now I guess I will have to start trying things out.