Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM LENS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Here are some sample shots from this lens over the last week. I got to say I love this lens. (More Samples to come soon) Keep in mind that these photo file sizes have been significantly lowered to post online.  

Monument Valley in B/W: 

Nikon D7100  Sigma 18-35mm

28mm  f/9   1/250sec   ISO100

Flag: 

35mm  f/5/6  1/800  ISO100

I usually never post in black and white but I thought the monument valley would look cool in this format. I thought the flag was cool so I had to get a shot. 

Attached Thumbnails

• mv00.jpg
  • Geronimo00.jpg

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

It gets excellent reviews.

I was going to get it, but have rethought my camera future, which may include FX.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

It gets excellent reviews.

I was going to get it, but have rethought my camera future, which may include FX.

Same here... I was this  ---> <---- close to pulling the trigger on that lens and stopped. Next body is going to be an FX and I decided to just purchase FX compatible lenses. I'm thinking to just keep the D7100 for action/wildlife shooting but I don't really want to spend the extra $$ on DX-Only glass. 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My hope is that Nikon will come out with a 24megapixel camera without the low pass filter that also shoots faster then the D750, so for now I have to stick to the D7100 as my back up. I carry 2 to 3 cameras with me when I am out and about because I don't like changing lenses on the fly and I use the D800E for wildlife and the D7100 for landscape. I thought about getting the D810 for landscape but I don't always like the file size of the 36meg pixel sensor. It's great for single shot wildlife and landscape photos but I am still learning about post processing and want to use multiple images for this and after converting my images from the D800E, sometimes the files sizes for each photo are over 200 megabytes in size. 

So I thought about sharing my experience with this lens for those who have the D7100 or any DX format camera and who have thought about buying this lens. According to the bench marks its one of the sharpest lenses for the DX body if not the sharpest and I see the results after buying it and have no regrets. 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

When I shoot I always use single point focus in continues mode.  AFC 

My focus point was the front tire rim of my Jeep in this shot, but look at the second cropped image of the Monument in the back ground and see how sharp it is. And this is one of the reasons I think this lens is a winner. 

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 18-35 1.8

18mm  f/9  1/320sec  ISO100 

Attached Thumbnails

• MV-JEEO00.jpg
  • MV-JEEO02.jpg

Kaypi

Kaypi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

With the additional 1.3x crop factor in the Nikon D7100 at 16MP, does it mean the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 acts as a 35.1-68.25mm f1.8?

How is the image quality at extra 1.3x crop mode?

This means the Sigma can act as a 27-68.25mm f1.8 lens on the Nikon D7100 (27-52.5mm at 24MP and 35.1-68.25mm f1.8 at 16MP) with a little compromise on resolution if used in crop mode right?

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I wouldn't expect the image quality to change if you put the camera in cropped mode. You would just be missing some of the frame or image unless you tried to get the same amount of image in the cropped area of sight as in the un cropped by backing up to capture the full frame. If you backed up to get this effect there would definitely be less mega pixels in the frame resulting in lose of image quality.