Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome To Nikon Forums!

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

Silversailor

Silversailor

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
As my username implies, I am an "old" sailor, having lived aboard and/cruised for the last 15 years. Most of that time, I was using one of three "point and shoot" cameras due to their size and simplicity. However, salt and sand eventually wound up causing their early demise. I've decided to go a bit farther with a Nikon D3200 with the kit lenses provided - at least for now. I've many questions on lens selection and best settings for nature photography. Thanks for including me on the forum.

Jonh H

Jonh H

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello Nikon forums!

mzocko

mzocko

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
looking forward to touching tips

BobB

BobB

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I'm Bob and a total newbie to DSLR photography.  Looking forward to learning and sharing on the forum

charlieconte

charlieconte

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi guys, posting from south jersey here. Been shooting for quite a few years now. Started with a Sony P&S then went to a Nikon D40 and i'm now shooting with a D3100. Definate huge Nikon fan but have some questions I'd love to ask my fellow Nikon fans so I signed up last week. Looking forward to interacting with all of you!

Roger_rob

Roger_rob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all, I'm Roger from the West Midlands, UK. Been into photography for about 4years now and still enjoying it. Currently using a D7100 and a D90. Looking forward to learning some new techniques and maybe some old ones as well!!

raven66

raven66

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all. My name is Robert, I'm from Poland. I own Nikon D7100,which is my first Nikon ever - I've been working on Olympus cameras for several years.

jbe

jbe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello Adam, and everyone else,

I started with 2 Sony point-&-shoot digital cameras in about 2003, then an Olympus E520 in 2008. After 5 years I moved on to a Sony SLT-A65, along with a slew of old Minolta 'Beercan' Lenses, which I loved.

Now that Sony have changed to Mirrorless cameras and different mounts, my Full-Frame lenses are redundant unless I use adapters and connectors, all of which cost money, reduce light and quality and add weight. The time has come for me to move on, and I have chosen Nikon as my new system.

I haven't bought anything yet - I'm still selling all my old gear and checking eBay and camera shops to compare prices (I want a D800E or D810). I rarely shoot any movies, and forget most of the time that my current Sony has this ability; I'm very much a stills photographer. My favourite subjects are macro shots (insects, flowers, thing that look weird when close-up), my dog, and various architecture (old buildings, industrial settings, and random shots of things that are out of place.

I'm looking forward to using my new Nikon, when I have one, and to check out the forums for help, advice and inspiration.

Jaie 

Jack "JBP"

Jack "JBP"

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone.....Just looking for some answers for some questions on my D800.

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A quick "Hello" to everyone.

After reading through these forums - and really liking what I saw - for the last couple of weeks, I decided to get registered today. At this stage mostly to get better control over which threads I have already read and which not. But this is only the beginning. ;-)

Photography has been a past-time activity of mine for quite a few years already, but I have never really gotten "into the gears". I.e. I've been taking snapshots here/there and now/then, but not much more.

Sometimes work has kept me from delving deeper into the subject, sometimes it was my own motivation. Or rather lack thereof. Especially when not being able to turn what I saw with my own eyes into the kind of photo I wanted to shoot. I'm sure, this is most of time caused by my lack of skill and not a limitation of my gear.

Anyway, by participating in these forums I hope to (a) learn more about ways to get closer to the results I'd like to have and (B) through exposure (no pun intended) to the subject sort of "condition" myself to stay more involved with the hobby. I mean, I know that inspiration through the work of others, as well as positive and - maybe more importantly - negative feedback will go a long way in terms of improving one's own skills and maybe mindset as well.

Currently, I'm mostly using a D3100 and a few different lenses (the Nikon 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, a Sigma 10-20 mm f/3.5, a Nikon 35 mm f/1.8 prime, a Tamron 70-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 and very rarely also a Lensbaby).

Of course, I've been thinking of upgrading (the FX format is _very_ tempting), but I've forbidden myself to do so, until I've actually reached (some of) the limits of my gear and until I've actually gotten into the habit of using my camera on a regular basis, instead of just storing it for months in the cupboard or just taking it along on vacations. Up to now, this part of the self-discipline is holding up. ;-)

So, thanks for reading and for what you have already given me to read.

See you around,

h.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Welcome Malice!  You will find lots of friendly and helpful folks here...and likely little negativity...more constructive criticism when requested to help you improve!

We do have a weekly challenge - both for helping to learn photo editing and for displaying your best shot or shots from each week.  Those are excellent places to jump in and contribute.  I find myself pulling out my cameras more often to post each week!

Scarlett Pimpernell

Scarlett Pimpernell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone I am Mark From Gloucester,England.

I have been using a Nikon D 3200 for a year now and just being getting all My gear up together after coming partially  away from Film. including a AFS 55-200 non VR,35 mm F 1.8 AFS Nissin Di622 MK 2 Flash Unit and a Meike Battery grip. and a few Chinese counterfeit  ML-L3 remote also cable switch made by I Shoot.I also have kepp a Nikon F/N 65 +28-100 G but enough of My stuff.

I shoot mainly Raw Files with subjects in Landscape,Architecture,and City Life ,This the second Nikon I have owned I just like to say that Nikon cameras are the only make that I have never had no faults and I have never sent one back for any warrantee repairs other makes Yes but Nikon No. I never have had a more higher in the range except the base model, The price i paid 299 GBP cost exactly what i paid for a Pentax MZ 50 film SLR back in 1999 so the price of digital has leveled off. With 24 MP its vastly improved although I miss the old film cameras but the technology. 

ste_franks

ste_franks

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi ! New to forum, recently acquired Nikon 5100 fairly new to photography so been experimenting sorry for lack off data but inadvertently reformatted card.7aaf7e8605e553d881cee73a8f7ae716.jpg0db9c06cf9b1333436bd45b52e8a887c.jpg732fb563dae15d3c9ccc10e4ad7b1114.jpg67d02efeb5207a508c96fc0a0590151f.jpge140162f409e0cf5ec4f5e0c4ec84196.jpg9a82b2d4a8c547b58e4204d03dd1394e.jpg
Any feed back please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DidierQ

DidierQ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello Nikon Forum.... i hope you can help me :-)

Dick

Dick

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaine USA

Hi, once again I am trying to push myself into something new. Rather than bull right into it I am going to ask for advice. I have been shooting 6x9 film for several years and want to get into micro photography. I have some nice Nikon gear and I am realizing that technology has past me. Right now I have a D70 and D5200 a SB28 and a SB800 and a 105mm f2.8 AF Micro along with some close up filters and extension tubes. That is about what I have for micro gear. I would like to set up 2-3 speed lights photographing nature. From bugs to flora and fauna. I also have a 50 1.8 and a 135 2.0 that I may use (reversed). From what I have read I need to understand better about wireless multiple flashes. I am prepared to get whatever I need to get this moving. I have bought a lot from KEH.com over the years. OK let's get started-thank you.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, once again I am trying to push myself into something new. Rather than bull right into it I am going to ask for advice. I have been shooting 6x9 film for several years and want to get into micro photography. I have some nice Nikon gear and I am realizing that technology has past me. Right now I have a D70 and D5200 a SB28 and a SB800 and a 105mm f2.8 AF Micro along with some close up filters and extension tubes. That is about what I have for micro gear. I would like to set up 2-3 speed lights photographing nature. From bugs to flora and fauna. I also have a 50 1.8 and a 135 2.0 that I may use (reversed). From what I have read I need to understand better about wireless multiple flashes. I am prepared to get whatever I need to get this moving. I have bought a lot from KEH.com over the years. OK let's get started-thank you.

You should post this in its own topic (i.e. in the technique forum):

Photographic Technique - NikonForums.com

JohnM

JohnM

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello from Florida!

I am brand new to the Nikon Forum and am thrilled with what I have seen in just two hours. So many dedicated and selfless photographers sharing their considerable knowledge with other Nikon lovers.

I am an enthusiast who is just learning about the digital world after years inhabiting the world of film.

Look forward to spending time learning and sharing.

John M

Shemike

Shemike

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, My name is Shelagh - I'm transitioning from "happy snapper" to wanting to produce some quality photos.  The auto/guide functions on my D3300 are fantastic but I want to learn how to achieve these results/or better them - manually.

Tips on when to use a fast shutter speed vs low - what iso to use for bright light vs dark. etc.  I'm a learner who would love to see a posted picture and know what settings the photographer used to get that result.

Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer :-)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Shelagh. If you check out the weekly Your best... challenges in the Mini.challenges... section, you will find that most of us share the shooting data and lighting tips in those threads.

Mhoyle

Mhoyle

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all, I live in Manchester UK and new to the forum. Looking forward to the spring with my xmas updrade.

Regards

Mark