Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome To Nikon Forums!

287 replies to this topic

Timlad75

Timlad75

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi there, I have just bought a Nikon D5100 it's my first camera and I'm looking forward to taking some great photos, I will mainly be taking pics of my wife and daughter on their horses and my dog. Any tips on settings would be greatly appreciated :-)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Hi, when shooting them on their horse standing still as portraits, you can set your camera to aperture priority "A", and choose an aperture in the range of f2.8-f4.5, or whatever the largest setting your lens will allow (when I say larger, it means the lowest number) in order to keep the backgrounds a bit blurred and the emphasis on them riding the horse.  If they are moving on the horses, you can use shutter priority setting "S" and keep a reasonably fast shutter speed to avoid blur while they are moving.  1/500 is a good starting point (the higher the lower number the faster the shutter fires).  Most general photography, using your camera in "auto" mode will work fine, too.

mrhudson69

mrhudson69

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi. Just joined. Bit of an amateur photographer

MJL

MJL

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationThe Canadian wet coast

Site Supporter

Hello everyone!

Here is a Canadian wet-coast resident who has web between my fingers & toes.  Yes, it is that wet here for 3 months every year.  I join this Forum because I am also a Pentax user and Adam has a fantastic Pentaxforums!

Got the Sigma Sport 120-300/2.8 recently and will share some shots here when I have the chance.

Glad to be here.

Vic

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Welcome mrhudson and Vic!

mclaren

mclaren

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

hi everyone my name is paul and use a d90 and a d300s and new to the forum and looking forward to help and ideas in the future 

Paulh

Paulh

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello everyone my name is Paul, I use a D80 i am new to forums

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Welcome to both Pauls!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Hello everyone!

Here is a Canadian wet-coast resident who has web between my fingers & toes.  Yes, it is that wet here for 3 months every year.  I join this Forum because I am also a Pentax user and Adam has a fantastic Pentaxforums!

Got the Sigma Sport 120-300/2.8 recently and will share some shots here when I have the chance.

Glad to be here.

Vic

Vic, welcome to the Forum and we are pretty much web footed as well, given all the rain we have had. Hope you enjoy the forum and benefit from all the tips and blogs.

blair617

blair617

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone!

pegasaurous

pegasaurous

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

New and looking forward to discover some new Nikon gear, after having used Canon for a while.

surfpoodle

surfpoodle

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Nikon forum, I've been taking photographs for many years and am looking to upgrade to a "real" digital camera.

Bobby L

Bobby L

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, My Name is Bobby, I'm a sophomore in college and I'm studying physics. Photography has been a hobby of mine for the past 6 years and I got my first nikon dslr when i was 14 and it was a D40. Since then I've gotten more equipment this past year I got myself a D3100 and 55-300mm Nikkor lens. My focus when go out shooting is wildlife and landscapes. Because i live on the Chesapeake bay i maily shoot alot of birdlife and sunsets.

Please check my stuff out at https://www.facebook.com/BobbyLemairesPhotography?

If you like my stuff please like my page and if you have any advice for me because im still learning the ropes feel free to reply to this post :)

mark lj

mark lj

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Afternoon folks

New member from the North of England - I use a D800, Pentax K-5 and just acquired a Fuji X-Pro1. Trying to find a good forum for Nikon users and I've arrived here from the Pentaxforums which I have found to be the best photography forum I've joined. I do mostly landscapes but have been know to take the odd picture of my pets as well.

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Heya guys,

I'm TJ and newbie to photography. I'm using a Nikon D7000 and couple of lenses (Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 50mm 1.8D and a Tokina 100mm macro lens). I'm interested in landscape, portraiture and macro photography.

See you guys around and hoping to learn from you!

Cheers!

rgarcia500

rgarcia500

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi My name is Ruben Garcia

I have been shooting with Nikon gear for over 25 years now.

I love the quality of their equipment and the results I get from.

Im looking forward to share ideas and read all about yours.

Thanks 

Ruben

_DSC9018 copy.jpg img817 NY copy.jpg

wesj1

wesj1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg

Thanks for the welcome and the forum. I am 1 year away from retirement, and I want to finally learn how to use my camera consistantly and well.

I've seen some fine images on this forum. Hopefullly mine will appear soon.

p-a-m

p-a-m

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi my name is Phil. I just found this forum. I live near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Looking forward to learning as much as I can here. Take care.

cedarcyclist

cedarcyclist

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Glad to find this forum. Look forward to learning and sharing a few things.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Glad to find this forum. Look forward to learning and sharing a few things.

Welcome to the Forum and think you will find loads of stuff spread around the various threads and blogs. Look forward to hearing you words of wisdom..