Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome To Nikon Forums!

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

BeeGeeDee

BeeGeeDee

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi folks!  I've been shooting since college in the 70's, spending time in the dorm's darkroom with b&w and color, waited until digital was better than film and affordable and just upgraded from a D500 to a D850.  I enjoy the superior older Nikkors and detest the inferior focusing screens in DSLR's.

Thanks to a post here, will be selling my SB900's for a Godox radio controlled system.

Current lineup:  1.  D200 infrared conversion with a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

2.  D850

MF Samyang 12mm f/2.8
MF Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5
AF Sigma 24mm f/1.4
MF Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 PC
AF Tamron 45mm f/1.8
MF Nikkor-S F 50mm f/1.4
AF Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D micro
AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D
AF Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Micro
MF Nikkor 135mm f/2.8
AF Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sport

Post with you soon!  :P

smoke

smoke

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hello,  I'm a long-time Nikon owner and user.  I had a cousin with an FTN back in the early 1970s and used her camera when it was available.  I bought my first Nikon, one of the first FMs to hit San Diego when the FM first came out (~1975?) along with a 50mm f1.4 and the then new Vivitar Series 1 70-210 macro zoom.  They keep me busy for years after.  I eventually added a handful of other lenses, from 24mm to 500mm (fixed aperature, mirror).

That FM was and remains my favorite camera, despite eventually owning two FTNs and an F3-HP.  The FM was light weight, straight forward, and quick - three lights to tell you about the exposure level, and only two things to think about: aperature and shutter speed (ISO/ASA already determined when you loaded film).

Then film itself got too expensive to shoot regularly and Kodak stopped making the film I was used to shooting (Kodachrome 25, Ektachrome 64, and Kodacolor 100).  <sigh>

I stopped doing much photography after that.  Then a few years ago I bought a used D700 so I could put my old lenses to use.

Then I got busy doing other things and it just sat in the closet.

With the current stay at home situation, I have lots of time to start learning about digital photography (aside from a Canon S-110 that I use for taking pictures of the dogs).

My initail goal was to constrain the D700 to as closely as possible to the FM in terms of limited things to think about while behind the camera.

After digging into books on DSLR photography, I realize that's not a realistic way to approach things.

Now I'm at the point of figuring out how to set up the camera for specific photographic tasks - to begin with, general photography with a 24-80mm AF lens and a setup for just my AI-S primes.  Getting the interactions between the Shooting and Custom Menu settings organized in my head looks a bit daunting.

So that's why I'm here, looking for general help by going through the archives, and asking specific questions when I think I understand enough about my problem to ask them.

I can also tell that there's a lot of jargon to master.

Mountain Mamma

Mountain Mamma

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, i'm Meghann I have been using Nikon's for some time now I and I love my entry level DSLR. Cameras are my hobbie, passion, and relaxation.  I look forward to being part of the forum. 

In my bag right now I have:

2 - D3100's

Nikon 18-55mm Kit lens 

Nikon DX 35mm prime lens 

Tamron 70-300mm telephoto lens

4 batterys

Manfroto Tripod 

Haze filter 

Circular Polarizer  

Indrajeet Singh

Indrajeet Singh

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGoa

Greeting! I'm Indrajeet Singh, please feel free to call me Micki. I have been fascinated by photography since I was 10 years old in 1961. I started with using an Agfa Clack 120 film  camera and moved through with a Brownie Box to the Kodak Instamatic, then my first DSLR a Zenit - E, an Olympus OM10, the Canon AT1 and to my first Nikon EM, followed by the Nikon F3hp and Nikon F4.

My first digital Nikon was the D60 (which I still have and it works perfectly)  and then the D7000, D7100, D7200, D600, D610. I have finally settled with my D7200, D810, two D500s and the fabulous D850.

My preferred genres are based around nature and include Macro, video and birds and mammals. I work hard at perfecting my skills at photographing Birds on the Wing.

My gear is generally fitted with the lens staying on the sets up are like this. I will occasionally switch lenses and bodies sometimes for special conditions and subjects.

D60 + Nikkor 55~200 DX lens - for introducing children to photography

D7200 + Nikkor 200 f4 for macro.

D810 + 70~300, or, Nikkor 200~500 (I have two) for video.

D500 + Nikkor 200~500

D500 + Nikkor 500 f5.6E PF (I own two D500 bodies)

D850 + Nikkor 300 f4E PF + TC 1.4E III.

I also have some other brand lenses like the Tamron 15~30, the Tamron 90mm Macro and a Laowa 15mm.

I have used Nikon since 1989 and hope to continue doing so and am looking forward to a professional level mirrorless in the near future.

I hope to make new friends and learn from you all ways to improve my skills.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

…looking forward to a professional level mirrorless in the near future.

Welcome Micki! :P

Mirrorless is not on my bucket list… I'm having too much fun with
the D810 and D850 — both are outperforming the Z at this point.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Hi Micki,

My first SLR back around 1976 or so was also the Zenit-E  Welcome - looking forward to seeing some of your images...

LarryFrance

LarryFrance

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Nikon D5300, and it works fine. However,  I also use a Sigma 17-50  2.8 Lens, and here is my issue I need some help with.  The Lens, with the Hood, is I believe too Fat for the Camera, as I think, the Sensor on the Camera, is Blocked by the lens, as I can see the light generated by the Sensor hitting the Front Lens adapter so the Sensor cannot effectively work, as it appears to be Blocked by the Lens. 

So, the sigma 17-50 2.8 is a good lens and was relatively expensive.  I am thinking, I should buy a D7500, as the body should accommodate this larger width lens. 

However, I would also like to consider a new Z50, but from looking at the pictures, I am also afraid the Camera's Sensor may also be blocked by this lens.

I do not know what to do?  Should I just use the 16-50 3.5 Lens that comes with the Z50 Kit?  But the 2.8 Sigma lens works good for indoors.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thank you,

Larry

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have a Nikon D5300, and it works fine. However,  I also use a Sigma 17-50  2.8 Lens, and here is my issue I need some help with.  The Lens, with the Hood, is I believe too Fat for the Camera, as I think, the Sensor on the Camera, is Blocked by the lens, as I can see the light generated by the Sensor hitting the Front Lens adapter so the Sensor cannot effectively work, as it appears to be Blocked by the Lens. 

So, the sigma 17-50 2.8 is a good lens and was relatively expensive.  I am thinking, I should buy a D7500, as the body should accommodate this larger width lens. 

However, I would also like to consider a new Z50, but from looking at the pictures, I am also afraid the Camera's Sensor may also be blocked by this lens.

I do not know what to do?  Should I just use the 16-50 3.5 Lens that comes with the Z50 Kit?  But the 2.8 Sigma lens works good for indoors.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thank you,

Larry

Do you mean the pop-up flash? Or the AF-Assist illuminator?

The Sigma has a large max aperture and lets in more light than a kit lens. This makes for much less need for the AF-assist when shooting in available light.

The AF-Assist illuminator is in approximately the same place in the D7500 and will hit the lens hood with that body as well.

The D5300 AF is quite good and seldom needs the assist light, so you can just switch it off. I think it is custom function a3 that controls it.

As I use back button focus and AF-C as my standard setting, I haven't used the assist light for many years and seldom miss focus.

LarryFrance

LarryFrance

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for your help. I thought I needed to use the assist light, good to know, I don't.  Best wishes.

armelind313

armelind313

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, just joined to try to get help for an issue I have seen with my D7500.

I figure if I cant get it at the NIKON FORUM, then I am out of luck. I cant find my issue by a google search.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I cant find my issue by a google search.

Welcome…  just bring it up and leave it with us! :P

john.ej.welsh

john.ej.welsh

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi 

I am John from the most easterly point of UK.  I purchased my Z6 about a year ago as an upgrade to my old work-horse D90.   I first looked on forum about a month or so ago because I was having major issues with the transfer of RAW images on the Z6 with the FTZ converter. 

The lens correction appeared not to be applied according to the information associated with the image as my editing software was applying this automatically resulting in a large black vignette.   I had "fixed" this issue by suspending the auto application of lens correction in my editing software.  There appeared to be some confusion on the forum although one person said the camera firmware was sending on information incorrectly as the Z6 was doing in-camera lens correction. 

At last we have a fix from Nikon in the form of v3.1 firmware for the Z6/Z7 yesterday and it appears to resolve the problem.  

dsilver1966

dsilver1966

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I'm Daniele from Italy!

I am ready to improve my photography with your help!

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I'm Daniele from Italy!

I am ready to improve my photography with your help!

Welcome Daniele,

Sure we'll try to help but do you have enough pizza? :P

dsilver1966

dsilver1966

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi, everybody!

I just got an old Nikkor 28-105 AF-D as a gift.
It has a very good image quality and I really like the color rendering.
But, with my D750, it has a strange problem: the focus stops working with focal lengths over 70 and with the subject at a distance of over 20 meters.
Below that distance, everything works perfectly, with all focal lengths.
The problem occurs in both AF and MF.

The same problem with another D750.

I already have two fixed AF-Ds, a 35 AF-D 2 and a 50 AF-D 1.8 and they work without problems.

In your opinion, is the lens or is the D750 unable to handle it well?

Should I take it to service?

Thank you for your advice!

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

the focus stops working with focal lengths over 70 and with the subject at a distance of over 20 meters.

Did you make sure the lens is not on macro (orange)
but on normal (white)?

dsilver1966

dsilver1966

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, the same thing happens on Macro and normal.

In any case, under the 70 focal length and at less than 20 meters, all the functions of the lens work perfectly.
Only when you exceed the 70 focal length AND try to focus from about 20 meters onwards, does the lens stop focusing in both AF and manual mode.

Weird, huh?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I think the 28-105 is one of the early delrin geared lenses that get a bit delicate as they age. It wouldn’t surprise me of it has been dropped with the zoom action extended. This would give the symptoms you observe.

dsilver1966

dsilver1966

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I think he's had a few blows, too...

Anyway, I'll take him to Nikon service on Wednesday and see what they tell me.
Thanks everybody.

Soaper1955

Soaper1955

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi, brand new here. I joined just now because I'm having trouble with my d7500. It refuses to turn on. Changed out the battery, still the same I did note the small light below the "ok" button briefly flashed in one attempt to turn it on. Any ideas?