Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help! Lense advice needed

lense advice tamron sigma nikon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Hi!

I need some advice for my future lenses. I currently have d750 and Tamron 24-70, so I need something at the wider end, something at the tele end and a fast 50mm prime. 

Which one would you suggest? 

Nikon AF-S 16-35 mm f/4 G ED VR or Nikon 18-35 mm f/3,5-4,5G ED? I like using filters so 14-24 is out of the question, I think. Or should I go for the new 20mm 1.8 instead?

Tele:
Nikon AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G ED VR II or Tamron SP 70-200 mm F/2,8 VC USD? I would like to know If I can use teleconverter on Tamron If I decide to buy it? Price difference between the two is huge here (around 700 Euros).

Prime:
Sigma 50 F/1,4 DG HSM Art or Nikon 50 mm AF-S F/1,4 G? I tried both and Sigma was sharper wide open and had less CA, but the Nikon is much cheaper and much lighter.

Thank you all for your advice!

Urban

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

TheTamron has the added advantage of using the same filter diameter as your 24-70... The Nikkor uses 77 mm. You can use third-party TC-s with the Tamron, I don't think the Nikon converters work but I haven't tried the combination. With the saved 700€, you can take the step up to the 17-35/2.8 instead of the 16-35. I don't personally like the 18-35 as I find it unbalanced, at least on the D700.

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

TheTamron has the added advantage of using the same filter diameter as your 24-70... The Nikkor uses 77 mm. You can use third-party TC-s with the Tamron, I don't think the Nikon converters work but I haven't tried the combination. With the saved 700€, you can take the step up to the 17-35/2.8 instead of the 16-35. I don't personally like the 18-35 as I find it unbalanced, at least on the D700.

Hi Peter!

Thank you for your reply and advice. I will take a look at the 17-35/2.8. I hope I can find it locally because I would love to try it before I buy it.

Which third-party TC would you recommend?

Urban

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Both Kenko and Sigma have a good reputation. They are not quite as good as the TC14, TC17 and TC20, but they work with all lenses as they don't have a protruding front element.

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

I just saw that our local shop sells Kenko TC. I will try both and see what fits me best.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

Urban

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lense, advice, tamron, sigma, nikon