Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will ever it work again?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

This was dropped at work today by my boss. He asked me to fix it. the lens won't extend . My answer was buy a new one. Then let me see  what I can do.  The motor runs but the lens doesn't move. My guess is a gear is stripped or misaligned. I got this far when i decided to take some shots of it in process. I doubt that I can resurrect it but nothing wasted in trying

.Canon-disassembly.jpg

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I had the very same thing happen with my wife's Samsung point and shoot about a month ago. I tried to fix it to no avail. In an act of desperation I asked her to show me how she dropped it last time. She showed me, but didn't let it take the shock. I said, "ok now drop it exactly like you did last time, but this time let it drop". As God is my witness it fixed it! NO LIE! I/we had nothing to lose so we dropped it again and it righted itself. GO FIGURE?

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I thought about that that But decided that this would be more fun. :D  This poor camera has been dropped a few times in the past apparently. I am trying to figure out who tried to take it apart prior. All but one screw was missing from the rear housing. It had lost the front lens covering etc. So the co. could use a new camera anyway.

My boss showed me how he dropped it. about three feet directly on the lens with it extended. It closed down and shut off. I think the lens is jammed pretty solid The motor runs the gear on the lens tries to move, then the motor reverses and the camera shuts off. I am seriously considering taking the lens apart tomorrow night if I have time.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The answer is nope. The lens elements have several broken pieces that hold the glass together in alignment. I figured as much but wanted to see.