Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

File size

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
So, I was going to submit a photo to the monthly contest. However the file size is bigger than the 1.5mb max, 2.8mb in fact. I don't want to crop as it would take away from the composition. Is the best way just to reduce quality upon export?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have set an export preset in Lightroom that scales the size to a 1024 pixel bounding box, sharpens for screen and saves in jpg, sRGB and quality =70% to where I want my files for publication on the forums to be. For the monthly contest a 1200 px bounding box might be appropriate, but larger than that means scrolling the photo in most browsers.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

You can change the size of the photo without cropping. For example if your photo is 6000 x 4000 just change it to 4000 x 2000. The file size will be much smaller, but you'll retain all of the original photo.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

So, I was going to submit a photo to the monthly contest. However the file size is bigger than the 1.5mb max, 2.8mb in fact. I don't want to crop as it would take away from the composition. Is the best way just to reduce quality upon export?

What software are you using?   In PS, you go to Image > Image Size, then type in the dimension that you want (you only have to type in one plane if you keep the aspect ratio the same.  It will adjust the other dimension).  Save as (to preserve the original), then check the file size.  Keep adjusting the original and saving as a different file until you get the file size that you want. That is how I do it, at least.  YMMV.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

At this point I use lightroom 5 for most everything. I have played a little with gimp.

I'll definitely be trying some of these tips, thanks once again

So, changed to 70%, sharpened for screen, changed size from 6k x 4k to 4k x 2k, and the file size went from 2.8 mb to 450k... crazy.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

That's pretty much what I have been doing and it works for me.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Upload to Flickr... Copy bbcode... Paste to forum... Win

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

Since you are using Lightroom 5 you can even do better.

Instead of cropping to a particular fixed dimension and therefore would ruin your composition, in the export dialog select sRGB, the Long Edge to be say 1200 pixel.  Then save as 60% jpg and sharpen for screen set to LOW.  You will have a very small file and have lost nothing.  Remember, ALL browsers to date only displays very limited color gamut and not at very high resolution regardless of your screen.  Now, if you are a doubting Missourian, save an image at 60% JPG and another one at 100% JPG.  Compare the sizes then view them side by side with your browser - you won't be able to tell the difference.

By selecting the Long Edge, you force Lightroom's export to keep the perspective ratio.  I usually save at 1000 pixels for most of my work and 1200 when I have to send to someone else - my clients like bigger pictures!!!

And a friendly reminder to Photoshop users, please use "Save for Web" instead of "Save As" (Jpg) - Save for Web saves in 216 colors - the full color depth of all browsers and you'll get a smaller file and best of all "Save for Web" removes all metadata from your image - for privacy and to thwart nit-picking trolls pointing out why you should have shot in ISO800 F4 instead of ISO1600 F5.6 etc etc... you know what I mean!!!

Hope that helps.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 216 rather than 256 colour distinction is a historical artefact today. When did you last use an 8-bit screen or graphics card? The so called web-safe colours can in fact, look worse on 24-bit systems as the dithering is based on full 8-bit if there is a colourspace applied (web-safe colours should be RGB instead of sRGB as they are absolute colours and don't need a colourspace.)

Lightroom always keeps the aspect ratio on export whatever method you use to resize. To change ratio, you have to crop the photo itself before the export stage.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Reducing an image's size is not cropping and does nothing to an image's composition.