Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 2 November 2014

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 2 November, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

PS: If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

PPS: Don't forget to try out the editing mini-challenge. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I went to the graveyard and lit a candle for my father today.

gallery_1251_413_333242.jpg

Body: D300
Lens: 24/2.8D
Aperture: f/8
Shutter: 1/40
ISO: 200
Profile: D2X Mode3

This is okay on technique, but it is most of all emotionally charged for me. I don't think I can do better this week.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I went to the graveyard and lit a candle for my father today.

Body: D300
Lens: 24/2.8D
Aperture: f/8
Shutter: 1/40
ISO: 200
Profile: D2X Mode3

This is okay on technique, but it is most of all emotionally charged for me. I don't think I can do better this week.

A touching tribute.  He left the world too soon.  Is your avatar image a picture of him?

Best Regards,

Brent

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A touching tribute.  He left the world too soon.  Is your avatar image a picture of him?

Best Regards,

Brent

My avatar is a self-portrait. I have this photo of him in the "Most memorable shot..." thread.

gallery_1251_413_15954.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I love that photo of your father, Peter. And the post of your graveside tribute is very touching. Thanks for sharing it here with us.

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

Camera D5300, f/14, 1/100s, +.7 exp comp, ISO 800

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0571_1.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Camera D5300, f/14, 1/100s, +.7 exp comp, ISO 800

Nicely caught autumn colours.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
bZ0hZ3A.jpg

D5100 Sigma 10-20/3.5 20mm f9 1/160@ISO400

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

This was at the beginning of the trail where I went for a walk on yesterday.

Path.jpg

f4.5, iso 200, 1/80, D70 with 18-55

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

Hello! I know it's been a while but I'm really busy :) Here is my one taken yesterday. Location: Isle of Sheppey, Kent, UK

D610 + Nikkor 18-35 @f/9, ISO 1000, 25 sec exposure.

fwoni.jpg

Cheers,

Serge

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Not many images this week, but they're all wonderful. Lovely work,  everyone. 

I'm being a bit self-indulgent and posting a few extra images.

First, I've been shooting images for a cookbook that will be published sometime in the spring. This week, we were working mostly on appetizers, so here's a fondue. Thank goodness I'm not lactose intolerant because guess who gets to try the food after we're done shooting? Yep. Me. 

15511854797_53d47b8256_b.jpgFondue by nbanjogal, on Flickr

Next...my Project 52 Pro assignment for the week was to shoot a Halloween image. Had to shoot to layout--11 x 17 double truck with white text on the right page. Kind of a fun project. Left it in layout...

gallery_504_507_298121.jpg

And here are a couple images of our Halloween. My husband made this awesome costume for our little girl--I'm pretty sure he deserves to be "Father of the Year."

15077719273_75fc20610b_b.jpgHello Kitty Halloween by nbanjogal, on Flickr

And here's an example of how tacky we are around here. We got a pumpkin with a crease in it…thought it would make a great plumber's butt. Attached it to a barfing pumpkin, et voila...lovely example of how too much candy will make you sick.

15511899157_18db9c477e_b.jpgBarfing pumpkin by nbanjogal, on Flickr

We're pretty gross, I know.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nice shots Nicole!

I had what for me is a rather unusual assignment this week - I had to shoot an orchestra concert on Thursday.  While I pretty much enjoy any kind of music, it definitely isn't anything I'd shot previously.  It was a very poor job of lighting and setup on the stage.  But, the kids did well and I managed to get a few decent shots...

Orchestra-5278.jpg

The lead violinist shot with my D4, 70-200 at 200mm, ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/250

Orchestra-5379.jpg

A couple of their songs were somewhat along the Halloween theme and several of the orchestra members put on masks.  I thought the bass players did the best job of "dressing up".  D4, 70-200 at 180mm, ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/250

I do have to say I find shooting sports more enjoyable...as I walked out of the concert with my gear, I heard a volleyball game down the hall in the gym.  Naturally, I had to run down the hall for some of my kind of shooting...When I got there, the home team was up 2 games to zero and they were just starting game 3 (they play a best of 5).  So, I got set and started shooting.  

Volleyball-5445.jpg

D4, 70-200 at 135mm, ISO 6400, f2.8, 1/1250

Volleyball-5544.jpg

D4, 70-200 at 86mm, ISO 6400, f2.8, 1/1250

The home team won the 3rd game, so I didn't get to shoot too long, but got a few decent shots.  

On Halloween evening, I finally had a Friday evening available to shoot the team I've shot for years.  So I packed up the gear and headed to a field I've shot MANY games on.  It was nice visiting with good friends that I hadn't seen this year and I was happy I got a chance to take some photos of a fine young man playing in his last regular season home game before going off to play in college.  We've known his family for about 8 years...He has turned into a very talented football player and played both on offense and defense.

Football-5643.jpg

This was quite early in the game where he was making a tackle.  D4, 200-400 at 200mm, ISO 6400, f4, 1/1600

Football-5981.jpg

Later in the game it took several of the opposing team to bring him down.  D4, 200-400 at 400mm, ISO 6400, f4, 1/1000

It was a fun week of photography!  Hoping for just as much fun this coming week!

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

First, I've been shooting images for a cookbook that will be published sometime in the spring. This week, we were working mostly on appetizers, so here's a fondue. Thank goodness I'm not lactose intolerant because guess who gets to try the food after we're done shooting? 

Great photos,

Quite a feather in your cap.  Let us know the name of the cookbook once it's published.  

I have been shooting with my Sony mirror-less, lately, so I have nothing to share.  I'm glad you guys are keeping these threads going.  

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Great photos,

Quite a feather in your cap. Let us know the name of the cookbook once it's published.

I have been shooting with my Sony mirror-less, lately, so I have nothing to share. I'm glad you guys are keeping these threads going.

Thanks--I am happy to have the work.

You can post your Sony photos here! There is no rule for Nikon only on this little thread. I'd actually be interested in seeing what you do with it. Mirrorless is intriguing...I might go down that road in the not-too-distant future.

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

I feel like I've been slacking of late, although I've taken lots of photos - just no time to sift through.

This one though jumped out... yeah it's my boy again!

15526222288_1c014a3a95_b.jpg_DSC0005 by mr_leeman, on Flickr

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks--I am happy to have the work.

You can post your Sony photos here! There is no rule for Nikon only on this little thread. I'd actually be interested in seeing what you do with it. Mirrorless is intriguing...I might go down that road in the not-too-distant future.

Well, as usual, it's snapshots of my kids.  We've been trying to get our money's worth out of the season passes.  The mirrorless cameras are more than capable.  They use the same sensors and, with the latest generation, the AF is now on par with a good DSLR body.  I'm pretty sure most of the industry will move over to mirrorless within 5 years.  They are cheaper and smaller to produce, and the OVF is becoming less and less necessary as the EVFs improve.

15529601230_a0a3549e61_c.jpgSnow White by kenafein, on Flickr

15529014468_8b8c40a5c6_c.jpgTooth Fairy Ballerina by kenafein, on Flickr

15529599950_e166984c28_c.jpgFinn the Human by kenafein, on Flickr