Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wireless triggers.... what are people using?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I also use the Yongnuo 603's . Can't fault them really, they can be used to both transmit and receive and you can use one to trigger 3 more so there a good cheap buy for me.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I use DslrKit. It is cheap, but works greate. I like it very much.

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArbroath, Scotland.

Site Supporter

I wish i has seen this thread before i posted my question else where, i have a d5100 and a Yongnuo speedlight and was wondering what trigger i could use with them and my answer was here all the time.  Another thumbs up for the Yongnuo flash though, have not used it much but very impressed with results.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

These have gotten some very good reviews, and are a good price for TTL triggers, but I have yet to see the Nikon version sold anywhere yet:

http://www.hahnel.ie...tSearch/pid/136

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

can cybersync be setup to be used with speedlights or only Alienbees?

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I just picked up a few Yongnuo's to try out.

sgtrutters

sgtrutters

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I picked up some Elinchrom Skyports recently and love them.  They're super small and work very well.  

rockjedi

rockjedi

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag
I use pixelkings.

http://www.pixelhk.c...how.aspx?id=170

Cost me £100 for 1 transmitter and 2 receivers. Full iTTl with sync up to 1/8000 too apparently.

Have never let me down yet. Love them.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use Skyports, small, easy to use and since I got two starter sets cheap I have one transmitter velcroed to my sekonic. That makes it possible to just fire one channel at a time for measurements.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently bought Yongnuo 622N triggers.  They are interesting because they are TTL triggers and allow HSS up to 1/8000s in addition to the ability to increase/decrease the power of supported TTL flashes off camera in manual mode.  They work well with my Yongnuo 568 flash.  The only thing that I am not crazy about is how the buttons work to increase/decrease the power, but Yongnuo is supposed to be coming out with a 622N-TX transmitter master controller with a LCD screen some time this year.  You can also use the triggers with the Nikon SU-800 or Nikon Master Flashes.  A pair are $80 on Amazon.

Verglace

Verglace

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne

I was using the CLS system for a while but I recently sold my SB-700, replaced it with 3 Yong Nuo  YN-560's and purchased a RF-602 trigger.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Has anyone come across Hahnel Viper Wireless triggers for flashes. Just read about them in Digital Photo magazine and wondered how they worked. Anyone in the forum used them or something similar?

Carl Gernazio

Carl Gernazio

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSpringfield, VA

Thanks for this topic.  I am just expanding to "off camera" lighting and was starting to look at the options.  Very timely!

stormingjoe

stormingjoe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Used Nikon CLS and now Hahnel Tuff TTL also have trigger trap on my iPhones and Nexus 7. All have their uses.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
Are wireless that much more reliable than slaving off the inbuilt flash? Or is it to get TTL metering? My main flash is a Vivitar DF200 which can only be triggered by light. If I were to switch to wireless, I would use the Sunpak MG-1 and let the Vivitar trigger off that. Not concerned with TTL.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Are wireless that much more reliable than slaving off the inbuilt flash? Or is it to get TTL metering? My main flash is a Vivitar DF200 which can only be triggered by light. If I were to switch to wireless, I would use the Sunpak MG-1 and let the Vivitar trigger off that. Not concerned with TTL.

It's not so much that they're more reliable, it's that you get more range and the signal can reach the receiver even if the signal path is impeded. So I'd say they're more versatile.

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

I only shoot in manual mode, so I have 3x YN560-II speedlights and four RF603N triggers - it all works very good. Only little thing than annoys me is RF603N on/off switch - when speedlight is attached there is no way to turn trigger on or off. Good thing is that when using proper AAA batteries they will work for more than 200 hours and you can use those triggers as remote shutter release.

PhyNyght Studio

PhyNyght Studio

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm currently using the Hahnel TF which have been working pretty good for a while now. 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm using pocket wizards and like them

etrigan63

etrigan63

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEarth

I own three PocketWizard III's and they work just fine. But I recently picked up a Neewer TT850 (aka Godox Ving V850) manual flash with it's attendant wireless trigger and used it on my last two portrait gigs. Have to say the TT850 with its lithium-ion battery has some amazing recycle times and the remote's ability to adjust the flash power at from the camera was invaluable. The more recent shoot was a newborn photoshoot and your lighting has be ready at a moment's notice because the child's expression can change very quickly. I was firing off shots quickly and the TT850 was keeping pace and never got in the way.

Here's one from today. Just one TT850 overhead with a 24" softbox.

IMG-20140621-00018-Edit.jpg