Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Budget speedlight for Nikon D3100

budget speedlight speed light nikon d3100

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all! I was invited to be photographer of few night club shows (so there wont be lot a light) but I don't have speed light for my Nikon D3100. At the moment I can't afford more than D3100 that is way I'm in search for a speed light for it. I will be happy to have you opinion which will be the best one for the job. Thank you!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

If the show has stage lighting, you won't need a flash.  In my opinion photos shot with flash of folks on stage don't have quite the same feel as those without and I used to shoot lots of musicians on stage with very little stage lighting.  It is hard to say what settings you will need without seeing the lighting or knowing the type of show (musicians, dancing, something else), but you shouldn't have any problem getting shots without a speedlight.  

Now, if you are going to be shooting photos of folks that aren't on stage, then you would probably want one.  The built in flash isn't very powerful, but would probably work well enough for some close shots of couples or whatever.  It really depends on how far you will be shooting and if you are using wide / tele or whatever.  I will let those who know more about flashes than me chime in on different models, but in my opinion most folks will never need anything more powerful than an SB-700.  

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you fr your answer! I will deffo need speedlight.

I'm looking at  This Speedlite TTL . At this moment I can't afford SB-700

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Of course you know that's for a canon?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would not get the flash you are linking to, as that is the Canon version. Youngnuo have a better reputation than the other cheap flashes. Why not look for a used SB-600 if the SB-700 is too expensive?

I agree with TBonz about not using flash for the show and as little as possible elsewhere as on-camera flash looks flat and you lose the feel.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

The Yongnuo 565ex flashes are great buys.  Make sure you get the Nikon version.  Flash is an essential tool for a photographer, but you have to know when and when not to use it.  If you want to use a single, on camera flash, for some portraits. outside of the show, you'll want to get something like a rogue flash bender to soften the light some.  With the right flash modifier, you can get decent single flash portraits with a camera mounted flash. The rogue also adds some height to the flash output.  You may also consider a flash bracket that will extend the flash higher from the camera body, and a more traditional soft box attachment.  

http://www.expoimagi...3&product_id=21

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for the answers!

I am now looking at:
This 

or
This

Would it do the same job?

Or may be this?

I would may be need a lens too as I am now with my 18-55mm. But I am not sure it would be the best. Sorry for the newbies questions but never use my camera in club light. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Like I said earlier, Yongnuo have a good reputation. It works fully with CLS with the same limitation as the SB-600 (no master setting) but can be mixed with Nikon speedlights seamlessly as long as you have a master flash on camera. They have tested them enough to say that they won't work on-camera with D800.

The Meike unit seems less researched and tested from the specifications.

The higher GN of the Yongnuo gives significantly shorter recharge times between flashes and more maximum reach.

The Yongnuo seller is located in and seems to ship from London, which means no surprise customs charges...

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for that Merco_61

It's bit expensive for me. But if it is better I will take YN565EX.

Any idea for the lens?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Or may be this?

I would may be need a lens too as I am now with my 18-55mm. But I am not sure it would be the best. Sorry for the newbies questions but never use my camera in club light. 

The SB-600 is a dependable workhorse, I have a couple that I still use when I need more light sources than I have got SB-910-s.

As to lens choice, how close to the stage will you be? The 35/1.8G and the 50/1.8G are both relatively inexpensive fast lenses, but which is more suitable depends on the distances involved. DX shooters tend to get them both sooner or later. Another way to get at least some more light gathering capacity than with the kit lens without losing the versatility of a zoom is the Tamron 17-50/2.8 The earliest version won't AF on your D3100, but the later will and they can often be found used.

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I will be in front of the stage. Very close to people too. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Sounds like the 35 should work, then. There is an easy way to test if the prime you are interested in works, just use a piece of vinyl tape to lock the zoom ring at the f/l you want and mock up the situations you need.

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

So I can try to work with my 18-55mm until I check what actually will need?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes, and if you have lightroom or some other DAM solution you can start by just using the zoom and check what focal lengths you use the most. In LR, open the folder you want to analyze, press Ctrl+f, click on Metadata, set one of the columns to Focal length and read. When you click on one specific f/l, you filter and show only the photos taken with that length.

The 18-55 is cheap and plasticky, but it is quite good optically.

lora_genova

lora_genova

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Merco_61

Thank you for your time and good answers!

xx

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

A couple of questions - I saw you will be able to be at the front of the stage.  I am going to assume you will be shooting band members on the stage during their performance.

How high is the stage?

Do you have any idea how many feet or meters the band members will be to the front of the stage - especially the one who is closest to the front of the stage and the one who is in the back?
Do you want individual photos or a group?  I assume both.

Will you have the opportunity to move back from the stage to maybe a balcony or some other location in the club where you could capture the stage with all the members and people in front of the stage?

chrisall1969

chrisall1969

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
Well I have the yongnau 560 III which is pretty good but is only a manual flash

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I'm very impressed with the Yongnuo 565EX. Not much more than the 560, but TTL. I'm asking Santa if he's found another in his sack!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: budget, speedlight, speed, light, nikon d3100