Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any suggestion for beginners

#software #photoshop #lightroom #beginner

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Ok, here's a work around.

Adobe provides a handy-dandy converter. Just convert your .NEF files to .DNG and it will open them:

http://www.adobe.com...latform=Windows

Yeah, it's an extra step but you get to use CS2 for free still :)

AndyLewis

AndyLewis

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

I agree that Lightroom is a good and useful tool. Though you should bear in mind that as a beginner you may not wish to fork out oodles of money on new software to early. Your camera should already come with ViewNX2 which while not the best programme it will get you started. I have also learned the while certain images may benefit from extreme adjust in post production, For me I prefer to minimise the post processing I do.  

roycebennett

roycebennett

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I've used Photoshop 6 for certain little things. But for the most part I use View NX 2 for some sharpening, exposure correcting if needed, and maybe some color saturation. Other than that, should I go all out and make my photos look all different like inserting a different sky, or go the whole nine yards with layering and curve/sat/gradient adjustments to make it more like something made in photoshop?

I see a lot of local photographers that do crazy stuff like trying to blow out highlights and oversoftening til the subject looks like a cartoon.

So honestly I'm unsure of what I really should do with post processing photos. My preference is to tweak them a little and keep them as real as possible. If there is something like a pole in the way, I'm not going to remove it in post. Maybe I should of moved to a different angle. Or maybe there was nothing that could of been done about it period. But my photo would be authentic and not "painted". If I really wanted to "paint" pictures, I probablly should of learned painting as an art instead of photography.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I'm a mac user, so I used iPhoto for a while, super basic, but switched to Lightroom. It works well and the price is affordable.