Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any suggestion for beginners

#software #photoshop #lightroom #beginner

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mimi

Mimi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I am starting my course on Saturday (really beginner) and wondered if anyone had a software to start with that's easy to learn and not too expensive or that would have a trial version? Thank you :)

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I would say try lightroom and photoshop elements.  You definitely can't go wrong with lightroom and it's also a great place to start!

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

you can also download photoshop CS2 from the main adobe site for free. its older but is a great piece of software.

Landscaaped

Landscaaped

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHalifax United Kingdom.

I would say GIMP or photoscape to start out with they are both free to download and very easy to use and to get started with.

LifeLens

LifeLens

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

I started with Photoshop Elements and Lightroom, and now use Photoshop as well.

PreservedLightPhoto

PreservedLightPhoto

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPenticton, BC, Canada

If you are only going with one I would suggest Lightroom. It packs a lot of power for its ease of use.

JIMMYMACK

JIMMYMACK

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Get a artist tablet and practice.

reinin

reinin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I've just moved over to the professional side of things and as a beginner, I love Lightroom.  It was affordable enough to allow me to 'practice' without getting frustrated and I think I'll soon be ready to tackle Photoshop without feeling overwhelmed.

eldonphotography

eldonphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

I would definitely say lightroom its a lot of bang for the buck!

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Lightroom all the way and you can get a months free trial

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I second the motion for Lightroom! Very easy to learn and intuitive to use. And powerful. And it's not too expensive.

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas

I say go with the Lightroom as well, it is a very good system to use and you can do nearly everything with it as a beginner! Good luck and be sure to post your work so we can see how awesome you are doing!!! 

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Amazing isnt it everyone thinks of Photoshop as the software for photographers but go on a photographic forum then lightroom always seems to be the prefered software or it is on the sites I use !

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag
DxO Pro optics has a trial version with a feature that uses Lens data and makes adjustments based on the camera and lens EXIF information. Lightroom 5 also shares this feature and requires one click while in the develop mode. for the money, LR5 is half the price of DxO and DxO requires a user to buy the elite software for full frame. Whats with that?

Martin

Martin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am starting my course on Saturday (really beginner) and wondered if anyone had a software to start with that's easy to learn and not too expensive or that would have a trial version? Thank you :)

Personally I can recommend PaintShop Pro X6. It's pretty comprehensive, inexpensive, and seems fairly easy to learn (I've only just started using it). It also has a trial version that you can download.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

you can also download photoshop CS2 from the main adobe site for free. its older but is a great piece of software.

100% THIS - get Photoshop and learn to use it. Dedicate as much time learning to use it as you do learning to shoot.

CS2 is free, and the foundations of an industry standard.

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

100% THIS - get Photoshop and learn to use it. Dedicate as much time learning to use it as you do learning to shoot.

CS2 is free, and the foundations of an industry standard.

I would agree with this the only problem might be that CS2 will not convert RAW (NEF) files of newer cameras but if you link that in with lightroom which will convert and you can then go to edit in CS2 (you can send directly from LR)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I thought that Adobe Camera Raw would update to the newest version ... which would open the most recent RAW files. No?

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Unfortunatly not Camera Raw will only update for about a year after the software is changed I know people who have CS5 and got a new camera and Camera Raw will not accept it even though it is fully updated Both had the latest camera's one a D7100 and the other a Canon 700d

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

Unfortunatly not Camera Raw will only update for about a year after the software is changed I know people who have CS5 and got a new camera and Camera Raw will not accept it even though it is fully updated Both had the latest camera's one a D7100 and the other a Canon 700d

that is the exact reason i went to CC. got the d7000 but couldnt get the newer raw processor. however, CS2 is still a great editing program.