Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Studio Shoot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I've managed to get 2 hours time in a pro studio with a pro model...only trouble is I now have no idea what I want to shoot, There is a pro photographer on hand to help out, show me the equipment and set up but my mind has gone blank on what style, poses I want to shoot.

I didnt think I would be as nervous as I am either.

So looking for some help and maybe some suggestions as to what to do in the studio. I love the style of photography that Sean Archer is producing at the moment so I have that kind of thing in mind.

Any help would be welcome.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yay! This will be fun. After looking at a page of Sean Archer's photos, it seems that style-wise you're looking for something a bit moody--darker background with soft, natural-looking light. Neutral colors, nothing bright. The models he uses don't have garish makeup or super styled hair--it's all very natural looking. So I guess you could go into the studio with a list of those adjectives and then let them help you achieve that with the lighting and model. That's what you're paying them for, right? :)

As for posing--if the model is experienced, she'll keep moving and you can give minimal direction and click away. I find that as a model moves naturally (whether they are experienced or not), you'll find some compelling poses in natural movement. Small, subtle movements can be very nice. I really dislike overly posed photos (but that's just my opinion--and it looks like Sean Archer is into the subtle, natural poses as well). I watched an episode of the Grid with Gregory Heisler (love his work) helping out on the critiques, and one thing he kept going back to was how over posed many of the images were--it's distracting (think of a model with her arm bent over her head--photographer thinks it's a cool, fashion-y thing to do, but the viewer is distracted and wondering why her arm is up there). You can also keep yourself moving. Once the model is in a comfortable, natural pose, you can move around a bit and get quite a few shots from different angles. I imagine the photographer you'll be working with will also have some advice for giving the model direction.

No need to be nervous--just think of it as a workshop, right? And you're a good photographer, so no worries. 

Here's something ironic…according to this page about Sean Archer, he says he never shoots in studios with artificial light. ;) The fashion photography of Sean Archer – Dodho

What a fun opportunity! Should be a fantastic learning experience--can't wait to see the images you come away with.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Nicole, very helpful as always.

I had a chat with the model online and she's been great, very helpful and willing to help.

I'll keep the poses natural as I just want a relaxed, natural feel to the pictures with no crazy abstract posing or weird props to distract.

If all goes well, I'll possible post one or two on the weekly challenge...if they are any good that is. :)

I've also found a studio nearer to home that also provides model days and part or full tutoring throughout each session. The owner has suggested I go along one evening to have a chat and a look around the studio. So If I enjoy this experience on Saturday I'll maybe book in some time with this other studio and see how they differ.

I also read that about Sean Archer, lol. I really do like his style of photography. The studio also has a natural light room, facing south over the river so I think I'll try a few shots in there too and see how I get on.

I'm using my camera for the shoot and i'll be taking my 70-300mm and 50mm lenses. The studio has the option to hire a D800 but I want to see what my 7100 can do with my lenses, I know they are not the best but If I can get reasonable results then I'll be happy.

Will keep you all posted on how I get on.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Rob,

I'm sure you know that I am not the one to contribute here, but...

I think you'll do great!  Those lenses should work out quite well and I'm guessing you'll have plenty of nice photos to share...and probably a few where you question why you shot them or that just didn't work.  Of course, I expect that you'll also have some where you'll be so happy with the results that you can't help but share!

That 50mm will probably be perfect for a number of the shots - I'm guessing it will be your main lens during the shoot, but the 70-300 might give you some nice close ups as well...you might even want to take your wide angle and play with a few angles that it might give you! 

Have fun!  I'm looking forward to seeing your results! 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I think TBonz is right that you'll want to experiment with your lenses--and why not try the wide angle for something quirky. :)

Just a few more thoughts on lenses...the 50 will be great for half or full body shots, but for closer work, as TBonz suggested you'll definitely want the 70-300 just for a more flattering look. If it were my shoot and I had your kit, the 70-300 might be my main lens. This article explains why better than I can:

The Ideal Focal Length for Portraiture: A Photographer's Experiment

The 50 will probably be sharper though... Yep, try them both and see.

(I mostly use an 85 or 105 for portraiture--the 24-70 does come out for environmental portraits.)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Rob,

In the studio, you'll want to go wider, rather than longer.  The 50mm could be all you'll need for most of the shoot, but I don't think you'll need the 70-300mm as much as you'd need a wider angle lens.   It looks a little odd if you keep having to take steps back in the studio, because you're using lenses that are too long.  You also may trip over wires and other objects!  Some shots just won't work and you don't want to be in a studio with a great model and realize there's a shot you can't get.  You can always crop in post, but you can never go wider.

When I use FF, I usually go to a studio shoot with just my 28mm and 85mm lenses.   I don't currently own a 35mm or 50mm lens, but those would be handy too, much better than a tele zoom.  I highly suggest taking a lens in the 18-28mm range for use with your D7100.  I rarely see other photographers with long zooms at the studio shoots I attend.  On my crop factor Samsung, I primarily have a 45mm lens attached.  Just make sure you don't get too close with a wide lens (definitely no headshots), as some photographer's are guilty of that and it distorts faces.  Stick to using the wider lenses for half or full body shots.

A tripod is not necessary, but it might be best to have one handy in case the lighting is at a very low level.  You don't want to have to worry about camera shake or not getting the model's 2nd eye in focus.  You can always push the ISO, but sometimes, that's not even enough and is usually not ideal.

If the model is experienced, she may move around a lot from pose to pose, but some can be too quick, not allowing you to get off multiple shots of a good look before they strike another pose.  I tend to say, "hold it" or "hold that" a lot, so I can make sure I get my shot.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks everyone, some fantastic advice. I'll take all 3 lenses and see how I get on. All studio equipment is provided so Tripods and other things like that are also in there.

Looking forward to getting in there and seeing how I get on.

Thanks again

Rob