Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tethering with the Nikon D7100.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cacbarroso

Cacbarroso

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMiami Lakes, FL

Hello, Friends,

I have no idea how to do tethering. All I know is that a wire/cable(I am not interested in wireless tethering) attaches the camera to a computer. It seems we need a software to be able to open the photo in the computer.

Who can help me with this issue, please?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

All you need is this software and the USB cable that you already have:

http://www.bhphotovi...ol_Pro_2_0.html

If you have lightroom 5, it also supports tethering, so in that case you wouldn't need the dedicated Nikon software.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

You could try Control My Nikon or Helicon Remote. I think both have free trials. As for the cable, that should have come with your camera.

Chris

Cacbarroso

Cacbarroso

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you both, Adam and Greenwing.

I will keep you posted about my progress.

Cheers,

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
If you have an Android phone, you can tether to that with the MyDSLR app.

Very useful for time lapse and Astro shooting. If you have two Android phones, you can have a sort of remote tether!

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

You should already have the cable - it comes with your camera but you may want to buy an extension USB as the cable is quite short!

If you use Lightroom, it already have tethering fro the Nikon built in - I do product photography and all my daily shooting is via tether with Lightroom.

Now, if you don't use Lightroom and you use PC Windows, there's a really good free software (I was one of the early alpha testers) - it works great and even allow you to control your camera from your computer:

Easy to use, free solution for complex camera control | digiCamControl

If you use Mac, they don't have one for the Mac but I run Wiindow7 using VMWare on my Mac and have test DigiCamControl in that environment successfully.

Hope that helps.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

You should already have the cable - it comes with your camera but you may want to buy an extension USB as the cable is quite short!

If you use Lightroom, it already have tethering fro the Nikon built in - I do product photography and all my daily shooting is via tether with Lightroom.

Now, if you don't use Lightroom and you use PC Windows, there's a really good free software (I was one of the early alpha testers) - it works great and even allow you to control your camera from your computer:

Easy to use, free solution for complex camera control | digiCamControl

If you use Mac, they don't have one for the Mac but I run Wiindow7 using VMWare on my Mac and have test DigiCamControl in that environment successfully.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update and link, I'm going to download it tonight and try it out on my 7100. Looks a good program and free too. Bonus.

Cacbarroso

Cacbarroso

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Yauman and Rob,

I have received the cable by mail and will test tethering with Lightroom soon.

Best,

Cesar