Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 to D700 ?

d5100d700 fx dx

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ddmvecj

ddmvecj

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationToronto

Hi,

I was wondering if it was wise to go FX with the D700.

The camera looks good for performance matters but the 12mp is my fear... What do you think (I don't enlarge my photos yet so...)

At first, I though to upgrade to the D7100 but since the price of the FX camera is pretty much the same as the DX...

Also, I really like the fact that it's a big camera because I have big hands, and I think I will keep my D5100 for video or backup camera...

Thank you :)

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I just upgraded from the D90 (DX) to the D610 (FX),  a huge difference in quality.  If you have the opportunity to go with a full frame camera, give it a try.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have made exhibition prints as large as 80x100 cm (I usually crop to 5x4 proportions) from my D700, only not at the highest ISO values.

More pixels would be nice but as long as you don't have to crop in post, 12 MP works surprisingly well as long as they are clean pixels. With careful noise reduction in post, it is possible to make 50x75 cm prints at ISO 6400.

The only difficulty in upgrading to the older body is the metering. The D700 was the last Nikon that didn't protect the highlights, so it is easy to blow parts of the photo if you compensate your exposure in the same way as in a more modern body. Matrix metering is less developed than in later bodies too, and misidentifies situations more often. This can make the transition a bit more difficult, but not too hard...

Have you factored in that most of your lenses are DX only and that you will need to upgrade those too with a move to FX?

The D700 is a very good compact pro body that is still not replaced in Nikon's lineup and probably never will be...

ddmvecj

ddmvecj

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationToronto

Thank you both for your answers.
I'm aware that I will have to upgrade my gear as well and that's why I didn't do it yet... I still have a 50mm 1.8 to work with at least.
But I think that sooner or later I'm gonna have to do the jump so why not start with a pretty descent FX camera at a price (bit more) of a D7100.

I will also keep my D5100 in case I know that I need a bigger file and for video as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5100d700, fx, dx