Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 14 September 2014

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 14 September, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

PS: If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

PPS: Don't forget to try out the editing mini-challenge!

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Going to add an early one this week :)

ugezeheg.jpg

D610 Sigma 10-20/3.5 10mm f8 1/250@ISO100

jeffs942

jeffs942

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwigan lancs uk

GLq9Cw.jpg

D90 +Tokina 100mm

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

14977525330_e1a5f754e9_b.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

What the heck?!!

Wish I hadn't looked at that--now I can't go to bed… got the heebie jeebies! (Really cool shot though;) )

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

What the heck?!!

Wish I hadn't looked at that--now I can't go to bed… got the heebie jeebies! (Really cool shot though;) )

HAHAHAHA
It was from a Zombie walk I just shot. About 1000 people dress up like zombies and walk through the streets of Vancouver.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The first pic is of a female Big Horn Mountain Sheep that I took this week, the second is a male Big Horned Mountain Sheep I took last spring. I took this shot of a Female Mountain Sheep this last week and here all year I was thinking it was a goat, and so I was thinking I wanted a goat head shot. I made the mistake in idenity because I have never seen them in the same herd as the male Big Horned Mountain Sheep and so never tied them together as both being sheep in my mind. And so I wanted a head shot of this animal all year and after I finally got one this week, I read a sign later that day or evening on the side of the highway stating that these were female mountain sheep and realized that it wasn't a goat and that later in the fall they and the young ones would be reunited again with the male Big Horn Sheep which is shown in the second pic. The second picture is of a male Big Horn Mountain sheep I took this last spring. I posted it so you can understand that the male horns are considerably larger and also there body size is larger, so its easy to make the mistake in identity and after reading the sign I felt like a NOOB. I have only been into wildlife photography for a year now and it shows, I'm still learning about the different names and types of wildlife.

The settings for the first pic: f/9   120mm   1/3200   ISO 1000 

The settings for the second pic: f/9   310mm  1/3200   ISO 1250 

Camera used: Nikon D800E 

Lens: Nikon 80-400mm 

Both shots are hand held and no tripod used and all VR settings turned off.

Attached Thumbnails

• FMSHEEP.jpg
  • RAM00.jpg

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
D3s
200 IOS
F13
shutter probably around 250

Shot at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati

Attached Thumbnails

• FB-2.jpg

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

ADSC_5761-XL.jpg

Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D7100 ISO 320 Focal Length 20mm (30mm in 35mm) Aperture f/5.6 Exposure Time 0.004s (1/250)

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Web11-L.jpg

Web13-L.jpg

Web4-L.jpg

Nikon D4 
Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G AF-S ED-IF VR
f/14
1/60s
ISO 8000

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

I love those Thumper - I so want the 105mm lens. Puts my spider shots from last week to shame. I have a strange liking for the insect world and think once i'm properly kitted out, I shall spend a lot of time lifting up and rocks. Love the lighting and colour.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Thumper,

You are not helping by producing great images with that 105!  Mostly because I can't buy one right now and you keep reminding me of that!  Nice photos anyway :)!

Very nice job and great lighting. 

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I love those Thumper - I so want the 105mm lens. Puts my spider shots from last week to shame. I have a strange liking for the insect world and think once i'm properly kitted out, I shall spend a lot of time lifting up and rocks. Love the lighting and colour.

Thumper,

You are not helping by producing great images with that 105!  Mostly because I can't buy one right now and you keep reminding me of that!  Nice photos anyway  :)!

Very nice job and great lighting. 

Thanks, y'all!!    That little devil has been hanging out under the light on my back porch for the last few nights.  When the light is on, the bugs swarm to it, so the spider builds its web there, and as a result, it eats very well. The lighting is the porch light, and the spider is really close to it.   

I LOVE the 105mm.   I rented one from BorrowLenses.com earlier this year, and I absolutely fell in love with it.  It is easily my favorite lens now.  I think that I have only had it off of my camera once since I bought it a few weeks ago.  It really is a versatile lens, too.  It is not limited to macro/micro shots, not by any means.   If/when y'all get one, you will be just as in love with it as I am with mine.   

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Those are impressive shots, Thumper! I like how you can see the webbing coming out in the last one--super cool! I really like my 105 too, though I haven't used it for macro very much. Using it mostly for portraits, and it is sweet. Need to get into the macro world a bit...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Thanks!!

It was wrapping up a freshly caught meal in that last one.  (When it went to pounce on that soon-to-be meal, I was really close to it trying to get a particular angle.  Then BLAM, it shot across the web, and I almost did a double back flip off of the porch.  I had to stop laughing at myself in order to get the shot of it wrapping up its prey).   :D

I need to work on getting better shots of the web.  Here are a couple that I took of just the web.  

Web2-L.jpg

Web1-L.jpg

I took them more as reference shots for when the spider returned, but I started playing with the shots and came up with these.  Not entirely pleased with them, so I am going to work on getting better shots.  

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Another shot from this last week, of Castle Mountain in Alberta, Canada. I used a tripod and stitched 4 photo's together with photoshop. After all was said and done I was left with a 322 MB Tiff file and after I reduced the image size to accommodate online posting what remained was a 4.1 jpeg file. I used a tripod for this shot. 

My focal point was the mountains so the fore ground is not as sharp. 

Camera used:   Nikon D7100

Lens used:        Stalk or kit lens,  Nikon 18-105mm 

30mm   f/14   1/600   ISO320

Attached Thumbnails

• cmountain2.jpg

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I went out tonight to see if my little buddy was back, and sure enough, he was.  But tonight, he had a little friend with him.  This one was hanging out just inside of the porch light.   This one is much smaller than the other one.

NewSpider5-L.jpg

NewSpider6-L.jpg

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G AF-S ED-IF VR

f/14

1/500s

ISO 1600

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This week, I will show what the D700 can do in low light...

gallery_1251_413_48259.jpg

Body: D700
Lens: Tamron 28-75 @ 36 mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter: 1/100
ISO:25600
Profile: D2X Mode3

Noise reduced with Dfine, conversion to monochrome in Silver Efex Pro, PanF curve.

The subject is the oldest achromatic telescope in the world, exhibited in Museum Gustavianum here in Uppsala.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Impressive!

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

gallery_1037_427_259473.jpghttp://www.nikonforums.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_427/gallery_1037_427_259473.jpg

Nikon D600

AF-S VR Micro Nikkor 105mm

ISO 250

f4 @ 1.3 sec

Not sure why my images are coming out so small on here.

Attached Thumbnails

• Buildings and Supermoon (3).jpg