Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which software

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

OnOne is very good.  Nik and Topaz are also excellent.  

Natural Encounters

Natural Encounters

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDorset, Uk

I am using Elements 11 as I really only do minor editing.

Martin

Martin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok I use Lightroom and then if I really need to will use photoshop but there are other softwares out there so I just wondered whih software does everyone use

I use ViewNX 2 to import my images from the camera and then if I need to, I use PaintShop Pro X6 to do any PP. I try to get the image I'm looking for in camera, but sometimes things need to be tweaked a little.

Richard Poulin

Richard Poulin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada

It surprised me somewhat not to hear more of The GIMP ! Really a very good photo editing software with lot of plugins (photoshop, topaz etc. plugins compatible) and scripts (python, scriptFu) and very large community/support - and FREE. I have done scripts of my own for sharpening and find this tool amazing.  View and Capture NX2 by Nikon are also excellent - the second for its control point editing.

AndyLewis

AndyLewis

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

I use Lightroom 4, I didnt get photoshop as I felt it unnecessary, I prefer to minimise how much I alter my images.

• K-9 likes this

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Capture NX2 does a quality job but isn't the quickest or most efficient in layout.  I do sometimes use NX2 to convert certain RAW instead of ACR.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Seems I am in the minority with Photoshop Elements 11.  What advantage is there to Lightroom over PS?

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Country Flag

LR is a digital asset management tool as well.

Lets you keep track of your image files in a structured way, allowing for queries based on keywords or properties of lens or camera.

Plus it lets you send a file to PS for advanced editing anyway.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

LR is a digital asset management tool as well.

Lets you keep track of your image files in a structured way, allowing for queries based on keywords or properties of lens or camera.

Plus it lets you send a file to PS for advanced editing anyway.

Thanks.  Right now, I don't think I have the need for the organization features.  That will likely change as I shoot more, though.

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArbroath, Scotland.

Site Supporter

The organizer in Elements 11 does a good enough job for most i think.

Bonobo

Bonobo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
I've had ok results w/ aperture and the nik plug-ins

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

This summer I experimented with DXo Pro as well as Lightroom. I found the former made the images too bright. The latter produced better results and also made image modifications based on which digital lens was used at the time of capture. Lightroom is on my shopping list

Richard Poulin

Richard Poulin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada

This summer I experimented with DXo Pro as well as Lightroom. I found the former made the images too bright. The latter produced better results and also made image modifications based on which digital lens was used at the time of capture. Lightroom is on my shopping list

!!! I'm a DXO user. How can you say DXO make the image too bright when you control  yourself the brightness? (or any other setting the image can have). Plus, DXO is made custom with the lens used at time of capture and modifications are made according to that lens. Are we looking at the same program? - i use DxO Pro Elite, - -  ;)

See discussion here: DxO pro elite

TIPA Award 2013: http://www.tipa.com/... Photo Software

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

That is what the software did to my images. As I recall, I could preview the changes and found the changes too bright as the images loaded. I did not use the adjustment  sliders. LR also has a correction for lens type.

Can you tell me why one has to buy the elite version of Dxo if I use a full frame camera, yet a high end Dx requires the std edition. 299 for the elite version vs Adobe LR for 149. Std DXO is a lot cheaper than elite

I will admit, that DXO did a good job adjusting barrel distortion

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

for those interested, there is a pretty decent thread at Dpreview that users have commented on these two raw editors

DXO Optics Pro 8 vs Lightroom 4.2: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

Richard Poulin

Richard Poulin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada

The Elite was given to me when i bought my camera and bag and tripod and i later upgraded to last and actual version. In my case image loaded stay the same except for the distortion corrected. Presets can also be changed.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I use Lightroom. It have all that I need and it is simple.

• K-9 likes this

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I use Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 and the Nik plugins in PS. I do most of my editing in LR and then do a few finishing touches in PS. 

I love Lightroom. If I were a poet, I would write an ode to Lightroom...

Trying to decide if I should do the CC deal for photographers--have to sign up before the end of the year though.

After hearing some positive feedback about Gimp on here, I may check it out. If I ever have time...

ChristyLynn

ChristyLynn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

Another Lightroom and Photoshop user here.  Love them!  I use Topaz and OnOne plugins.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ye I'm running a dual boot pc so if I'm in Linux I will use Gimp, it's great for freeware, but when in Windows I'll all way use Photoshop CS6, it's such a powerful tool with tons of ad dons and plugins.