Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Interview for Bokeh Shooters

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

An industry friend of mine started up a new webpage for photographers called "Bokeh Shooters" this month. To help him generate some content for the site I did an interview for his page. If you're interested you can check it out here: http://bokehshooters...ael-rickenback/

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Great article.

Eagle

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Well, that was a fun read! My favorite bit:

Stop dicking around and go shoot. You want to go pro?, then shoot like a pro and produce images like a pro. How do you do that? Simple… lens time. If you’re not snapping off a few solid images every week your just pretending. You’re just one of a million people with a camera and a Facebook page named “So and So’s Photography”. 

I don't have a Facebook page for my photography. Probably never will. :) 

And this gives a me an idea for a thread we ought to have in this forum…I think it would be fun to have similar interviews with folks here on the forum. Hm…how to do this? 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

The funniest part of that exchange was I said "like me" two or three times but it was dropped from the conversation for the benefit of the interview LOL

There was another little aside section I hoped would have been included but wasn't. The cliff notes are; I was asked if I didn't consider myself a professional then. I replied I most certainly wasn't, my photography group was almost named "Idiots with Cameras" (IWC Photography has a nice ring to it LOL) and that I refuse to charge for my hobby because it isn't a hobby when you're paid, it's a job.

Sadly that little section hit the cutting room floor.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

That is a shame! It might have been nice for him to hold you up as an example of someone who has excelled without feeling the need to put out their "Pro Photog" shingle and trying to make money from it (as seems to be the case with 90% of the rest of the population). Art for the sake of art, ya know? Doing photography as a hobby doesn't make your (or anyone's) images any less legitimate, and that would have been a nice point to make. Still, it was a fun interview to read. And that sunflower image is truly gorgeous. Flowers are a bit overdone, so you've really got to add some wow to make a flower photo worth looking at, and you really did it on that one--hit it right out of the park. (Ha ha--you could sell that one…kind of an ironic statement to make now.)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I agree but he was trying to focus the conversation on HOW to break into being a pro. And thank you for the compliment of the sunflower shot. You're the 2nd person who said I should market that shot, my mother being the first LOL :)

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great interview. And great shots, the first one is stunning and I agree the sunflower shot is really good too.

Thanks for sharing