Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NEF to JPG? I can't send "raw" photos, they're too large. Assistance please.

d3200 nef jpg files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

trheyer

trheyer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Just got my D3200 last weekend. Snapped 50+ shots in "RAW" mode. Downloaded them on PC.  Used Nikon software to view them. Saved them as NEF files.  Now, I wish to bring them into Adobe Photoshop and play around.  I also want to send photos to people via email and also post them in Snapfish and Flikr/Tumbler.  The files are too large and or they won't load in NEF format.

1. How do I get NEF to JPG? Or, if I don't need to, how do NEF files work?

2. I see a place on camera that I can select jpg/raw/etc as a mode of taking pics. Should I use this?

3. If I do #2 above and not use RAW, will I lose some quality in the pics?

I want the best quality and resolution for my pics, that's what I bought it for. At the same time, I want to share these.

Thank you.

trheyer@gmail.com

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

If your NEF's won't open in photoshop, you either need to update Adobe Camera Raw, or upgrade photoshop entirely (older versions aren't eligible for the latest raw updates).

Regardless, you can also convert the files using the Nikon desktop software.  A NEF is simply raw sensor data which can of course be saved as JPEG, which is a compressed image format that can be displayed on just about any device without the need for special software.

RAW vs jpeg is a very big topic, but I would say that unless you know the difference between the two formats already, you should be using JPEG.  If you do enjoy making edits using RAW files, then consider using RAW+, and then the camera will save in both formats at once.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

ViewNX 2 can convert your NEF files and should be on a disc that was supplied with your camera.

Capture NX-D is a free download on Nikon's site and can do more tweaks to your file than ViewNX. .

If your version of PS is too old and don't support the D3200, you can use Adobe's free DNG converter to get a raw file that your version of ACR can work with.

To share photos on the web, don't forget to convert to sRGB colourspace when you save as jpg, colours can look strange in some browsers and viewers otherwise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3200, nef, jpg, files