Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TAMRON 150-600mm DOES NOT DISAPOINT

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Finally I was able to get a copy of the Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 Telephoto lens today after a back log of preorders and was not disappointed of the results. I can't believe this lens sells for less than 1300.00 $ and for the photo quality it can deliver at that price, its a winner. Here is one of my shots after my first test run today.  

Exif:  600mm Slightly Cropped  f/9  1/5000  ISO 2000  and hand held no tripod used, the way I like it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• HAWK600mm.jpg

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I looked at that lens a lot but never pulled the trigger. I was afraid of the low price. I'm glad you posted this.

Question, the sharpness was the thing that was scaring me, how is the sharpness around the edges and over all?

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It's definitely sharper in the middle but I think it's still good enough. I presently have the new version of the Nikon 80-400mm and it is sharper bit also cost around 1500 more and has less focal point. I wanted further reach and so took a chance on the Tamron and I am very picky with sharpness and photo quality and the Tamron didn't disappoint unlike the sigma 150-500 that I also have. More sample pics to come.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Thanks Daniel for the quick response. The lens would strictly be a toy for me and can't image I'd use it on a paid job, but I still want the sharpness. What you are saying is making it sound good and I look forward to the samples.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

YESSSSS! I've been waiting to hear what you had to say about this lens! It's definitely going on my list of must-haves… 

I am eagerly waiting to see more of what you shoot with it.

On a side note--wow, that was handheld? How heavy is it?

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice one, Daniel.  I'm glad to hear you finally got a hold of one.  Are you going to sell the 80-400 and the Bigma now?

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Excellent sharpness

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I would be lying if I said it wasn’t heavy, especially with the D800E attached. The D800E is a heavy camera. So it is a little heavy nbanjogal but I would expect that from a lens with a maximum focal point of 600mm. My other telephoto lenses are a little heavy so I am use to the set up.

To answer your question Kenafein, no I will not sell the Nikon 80-400mm because at a closer range its still a better lens, a little sharper and does focus faster but, I will sell the Bigma 150-500mm cheap. It’s been getting dusty on the shelf.

Etphoto I was looking at the Tiff file today before I reduced the image size to the smaller jpeg file I posted on here and the Tiff file was noticeably sharper. The Jpeg file I uploaded on here was 3.3 mb in size and the TIFF file is 49 mb and sharper, so it is a sharp lens.

I used a tri-pod with the lens today and took a few shots at it with the D7100. D00E mounted on the Tamron 150-600mm with Carbon Fiber Sirui tri-pod and and Milano Head.

Next week I am hoping to take a drive and capture some wildlife and will post more then unless I find something else thats interesting to take photos of. 

P.S. I could use a bigger tripod.   :D

Attached Thumbnails

• TAMRON150-600.jpg

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Took the lens out today and this time I was shooting Osprey with it. Had a lot of fun with the 600mm max focal point but did notice the focus was not as fast as I would have liked it to be and definitely not as sharp as the Nikon under the same circumstances but for the price its right. 

Info: 600mm f/10 ISO 2500 1/4000 sec and handheld. 

Attached Thumbnails

• SEP-OSPREY.jpg

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Excellent capture.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks deano 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Another shot with the lens today. This was shot during the later day when the sun was beginning to set. 

Attached Thumbnails

• CO01.jpg

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Took the lens out today and this time I was shooting Osprey with it. Had a lot of fun with the 600mm max focal point but did notice the focus was not as fast as I would have liked it to be and definitely not as sharp as the Nikon under the same circumstances but for the price its right. 

Info: 600mm f/10 ISO 2500 1/4000 sec and handheld. 

Just about perfect!

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Has everyone seen that Sigma is releasing a 150-600 now?  It's about twice as heavy, and twice as costly, as the Tamron; and, according to traditional charts, the performance is about the same.  I guess we'll have to see some real world results.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Has everyone seen that Sigma is releasing a 150-600 now?  It's about twice as heavy, and twice as costly, as the Tamron; and, according to traditional charts, the performance is about the same.  I guess we'll have to see some real world results.

Twice as heavy and twice as costly??   :lol:  Thats kind of funny but this could be interesting I would be curious as to the results as well. 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Another Hawk shot with the lens. This time the sky is over cast and a little gloomy. Not my favourite time to shoot but with hawks I will take what ever I can get. 

Settings:  600mm   f/9   1/3200   ISO 2500 and hand held with no tripod. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_4529.jpg

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Daniel,

I was at an independent camera repair shop yesterday and he also suggested this Tamron lens.  He shoots air shows and his shots of airplanes in flight were crystal sharp.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I can imagine they would be Deano, I haven't tried it with air planes but I know that with another lens I had that the telephoto lens grabbed a focus point better on bigger subjects. Can't wait to try it on air planes though. Thanks for the info 

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Dang it, will you guys stop? You are forcing me to get one.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

:lol:

Dang it, will you guys stop? You are forcing me to get one.