Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D810 service recall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
Checked on my serial no today after an email from Nikon UK, and I've got one that needs to go back to Nikon.
They've sent anpost paid label just have to drop it into a post office.
But they're saying two to four weeks for repair!
Two questions, is that timescale acceptable for a camera that I've had for only three weeks? And is it worth sending in to repair a function that I'm probably not going to use?

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Anything that I pay that much money for is going to be fully functional whether I use that function or not, especially if it is brand new. The ability will at least be there should I ever decide to use it. Besides, it is a matter of principle, at least to me.

As far as the time scale, I don't know. If they are expecting a lot of recalled cameras in at once, they may give that time frame as a means to cover worst case scenarios. You may get it back sooner than two to four weeks.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

At least they're owning up to this one.

Yeah i'd get it done, for resale value too.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
Makes me wonder if this checking the serial number is a bit of a bluff. I'm beginning to think that they're pulling in all the D810. Love to know what they're having to do that can't be fixed with a firmware update

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you checked if yours has the black dot in the tripod socket? They apparently corrected this in production without registering numbers for a time.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Nikon D810 Review

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK

No black dot on mine but, I'm bored with this whole scenario now so i tried it.

Sigma 50mm F1.4 art @30 seconds and 2 mins, LENR off, iso 100.

Can't find anything that I can't replicate on my D4s if I look really hard. I'm not sending mine back as I don't believe there's anything wrong. 

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion by people who want to find fault. 
Just enjoy your photography

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
Change of heart after talking to tech doing repair.
Nikon certainly aren't just doing a firmware update.
After contact with Nikon UK, they have one technician trained to go through the re calibration process (their words). Note the words 're calibration process'
After talking to said tech regarding being unable to replicate the error found by photography life, he stated that all cameras produce these hot pixels when pushed as stated, and sure enough, I can make my D4s produce similar results to my D810 when set to ISO 100, Lenr off, and an exposure of two minutes,
However, with Lenr on as he suggested, I have no problems with so called hot pixels in either camera.
So may I suggest, part of the process undertaken is an enhancement of Lenr along with sensor calibration?
I am going in to Nikon UK on Tuesday for mine to be 'fixed'. The tech reckons he can get it done within 25 minutes, but wouldn't elaborate on the fix any further.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
The whole process took 20 minutes and the techy told me he'd remapped the sensor and updated the firmware. Only two techs are qualified to do it at Nikon UK.

I talked to him regarding my inability to replicate the problem causing this furore and he did state that Nikon are jumping on the so called problem to avoid another D600 fiasco, and the recall involves all builds up until the second week of the third quarter (July then!)

Seeing as he seemed chatty, I pushed him on why I couldn't replicate the issue. His answer was that a few builds seem to have had an issue with sensor mapping out of the factory and Nikon have pulled al builds in up to that date. However, not all bodies will be affected only the ones off of one build line, unfortunately serial numbers don't equate with a particular build line.

He was amazingly forthright and perhaps this explains the inability for some owners to replicate the issue.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

That stinks that there is no serial number correlation. I am not sure I like the whole black dot thing. Shady sellers may be inclined to just update the firmware and paint the dot on there to make one think it's been updated.

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

That stinks that there is no serial number correlation. I am not sure I like the whole black dot thing. Shady sellers may be inclined to just update the firmware and paint the dot on there to make one think it's been updated.

there is a serial number check            https://support.niko...com/app/D810/sn