Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7000 chooses low shutter speed and high iso

d7000 iso low shutter speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

NLouis

NLouis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi

I have started working for a magazine and I shoot interiors, galleries etc and profiles. I don't use auto ISO, and with this camera I have stopped using Aperture mode which I use to use all the time with the 5100. The reason being the camera for the right exposure chooses low shutter speed and far too high ISO for inside with complex lighting. I try not to use flash all the time. I have a 50mm f 1/8 lens which I just can't use anymore with the D7000 because of the above reason. I need sharp images with low ISO. Even in Manual I can't get the settings I need. Because of this I can't set anything in auto because the camera would like high iso, therefore when I want to do snapshots while travelling I cannot. Do I need another camera? How can I get around this? Is this the nature of the camera? I've had it for about 6 months. Advice and your knowledge would be appreciated.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Just to verify... you do have Auto ISO disabled? Correct? If so, I guess I would try a camera reset. It sounds as though something is farkled. I use a D7000 and have Auto ISO off. I shoot mostly in manual and occasionally in Aperture Priority. I've never encountered the problem you're reporting.

--Ron

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

How can the camera choose a high ISO if auto-ISO is off? You must be choosing it.

If not, sounds like the camera is stuffed.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would have to agree.  One of my cameras is a D7000 and it shouldn't be changing the ISO unless AutoISO is on or perhaps you have it in some other auto setting.  However, if you are shooting indoors without a flash or some form of studio lighting, you may have to bump up your ISO (manually) or select a slower shutter / wider aperture to get a well exposed image.  Can you post an example of what you are experiencing along with the EXIF information that will provide the settings?  It might make it easier to troubleshoot and recommend alternative settings.  

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

You can set a range for Auto-ISO and you can set a minimum shutter speed.  However, if the light isn't there something's got to give.  Use a flash, with a light modifier, if you want good lighting and fast enough shutter speeds at low ISO.  Try spot metering or center weighted metering if it's only having trouble in complex scenes.  Matrix metering will average the whole frame and that might be throwing off the metering for your subject.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7000, iso, low shutter speed