Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good lens recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Bill

Bill

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a D3200 with the basic kit lens. I shoot mainly weather scenes including nighttime lightning. What is a good 3rd party lens that can be my all around lens? One that I can just leave on. Maybe a focal range of 18-135 or something. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 C is simply a joy to use.   I've posted a review of it here:

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Here's the product page:

http://www.bhphotovi...EG&Q=&A=details

Bill

Bill

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Adam that looks perfect. Now it's time to save some money lol!
Oh but I see that's for a Pentax. Is there a Nikon version?

Vyolater

Vyolater

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

http://www.bhphotovi...4_DC_Macro.html

That should link to the lens for Nikon. Same price.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I have 3 Tamron lenses that are also worth considering:

17-50 f2.8 SP DII VC 

70-300 VC

60mm f2 macro 

I think all 3 are quality pieces with a budget friendly price tag. The VC works really well on both the 17-50 and the 70-300.

The 70-300 is a really sharp lens, maybe one of the best in it's class. The 60mm is just incredible; it scales up to 90mm on a crop body, is seriously razor sharp, has internal focusing and that f/2 ... the bokeh, the DOF! I really love that little lens.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I was going to ask the same question on third party lenses so thanks that saved me the effort!

What about opteka? I aw one of these on amazon...500mm for less than £100....really?
Has any any experience with opteka lenses?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

They are cheap and, to be honest, not THAT bad... but buyer beware!

They are not going to give you anything close to "good" image quality. They will be muddy, low contrast and straining for sharpness. Also if you are talking about the 500mm reflector highlights will be doughnut shaped. 

Other than that... they work and they aren't horrible. You can clean up the files pretty effectively in Photoshop and for very little money you get  a 500mm f/6.3 (or f/8) lens.

It works much much better than having a 200mm  lens and cropping in 2.5x, that's for sure!

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up Afterimage! Great advice as always. :)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

No problem! I just happen to love all kinds of cheapy lenses and filters. They create some really weird and unique effects most people try to avoid ... but then add in later during post process for Instagram and the like LOL

Here's an excellent example of what a good image looks like from an Opteka 500mm f/6.3 (not my image). Not bad at all, actually. Notice the donut shaped bokeh highlights?:

original.jpg

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Just ordered the Tamron 70-300mm which I notice you also have and are pleased with so that gives me some confidence! I like you go for the cheaper lenses, mainly because I cannot afford most official nikon lenses on my budget. :( but as long as they are sharp and good quality I don't see any problems. Should be here in a week so I'll post some test shots here when i get the chance. :)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

You'll love the Tammy 70-300. It's an incredible lens for the price.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Cool! Only paying £70 for it. What's the macro function like?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Wow, you got that one cheap! They usually go for $350+ here. Even used ones are around $300.

The macro is mediocre compared to a dedicated macro lens. Not a true 1:1 but zooming in past 200mm with it's 8" focal distance will provide good results.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

What about the Sigma 70-300? I've seen great reviews and also not so great, but I could say the same about the reviews for the Tam?

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Did you get the one without VC because that one new is around $120 I think. Decent lens. Nothing I'd write home about but good for just tooling around with.

klh4runnin

klh4runnin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm curious what the difference is between that Tamron 70-300 & the Nikon 55-300 as far as the quality when using it at the max 300mm? I bought the Nikon for use with my D5000, & I'm not sure if it is me or the lens, not getting that much clarity with it. Maybe I'm just not very good...:)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I can't speak for the Nikon but I do have the Tamron 70-300 and like it very much. Here's 2 examples of this lens at 300mm, the sharpness is fantastic to my eyes:

adrift-L.jpg

cw10-L.jpg