Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sigma Lens Help Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

frogznlogz

frogznlogz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to the DSLR world.  I recently purchased a D3200 with the 18-55 kit lens and bought the 55-200 kit lens to go with it until I learn to shoot better and can afford better glass.  I tried out and returned a Nikon 35mm and 50mm 1.8.  I liked the quality of the 2 lenses, but seemed to be having to backup too much at times with the 50 or having to move in closer with the 35 to get the shot I wanted.  After doing many many  hours of reading reviews, forums, comparisons, manufacturer sites, etc., I decided on a Sigma 17-50 2.8 ( for available  / low light hobby and family shooting).  I almost made the purchase, but am kind of weary due to all the variance in Sigma's quality control.  I'm kind of bummed because it seemed like a good solution at a price I can afford, but I really don't want to deal with the headache and hassle of returning a "bad copy".  And the worst part is I'm not even sure I would be able to tell a good copy from a bad one due to my inexperience.  I looked at the Nikon and it is a bit too pricey.  The Tamron is similarly priced to the Sigma, but doesn't have as good of reviews / comparisons to the Sigma or Nikon.  

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.  And I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong location.  Thanks! 

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I would just go for the Sigma 17-50mm.  It's got a 4-year warranty and if you get a bad copy (which I don't think is a major issue with this particular lens), you can always send it back and get a new one.  Things to check for include focus accuracy and de-centering: are all the corners equally sharp?

jeffs942

jeffs942

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwigan lancs uk

Hi. I have owned this lens, the Sigma EX 17-50 HMS OS DG to be precise, for over a year. My copy is superb, no issues what so ever and very, very sharp.(Check out DXO labs rating). Sigma did have serious quality issues, there is no denying this, however, they have made a lot of progress in the last few years.

I have previously owned the Tamron 17-50 with the focus motor and the very expensive Nikon 17-55. This lens is as good as the Nikon, picture quality wise with the benefit of image stabilisation.

I shoot with primes mainly and only own 2 zooms, a wide angle Tokina and this lens. As the previous poster says, with a good warranty you cannot go wrong..

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

Sigma had not so good a reputation for quality control in the old days - but that's not quite true anymore.

Disclaimer: I work in a camera store with an in-house repair facility - but we don't sell Sigmas. We sell Tamrons and they are superb - I shot with Tamron before I work there. If you look at some of the geeky specs, they meet or exceed Nikon's - especially their VR technology.

The new Sigmas are very good and at par with Tamrons.  Yes, they had a few bad years - but those days are over.  When an older Sigma comes in the shop, our repair tech after opening it will ask us to come take a look at the double-stick foam tape as shims and other atrocious in the construction. Today, their "Art" lenses series are amazing.  I won't hesitate to buy one.

Since you own a crop-sensor, the prime lens for you should be a 35mm - every one should have a prime and a bright one at that. You'll never get the sharpness of a prime or the f/1.8 in an zoom.  As a beginner photography, you need to learn the skill of zooming with your feet and get amazing images.  You mention shooting family members - and here's something you need to keep in mind - don't shoot wide-angle for people - it's very unflattering - that's why model photographers use 70-200mm or prime 105mm for model shoots. With a zoom, you can easily, even unconsciously zoom out to 24mm or less when shooting people. While you may have a technically superb image, the people will look bulgy!  

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You'll never get the sharpness of a prime or the f/1.8 in an zoom. 

Except for the Sigma 18-35/f1.8, which exceeds the sharpness of some primes and is f1.8 throughout its range. ;)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Sigma had not so good a reputation for quality control in the old days - but that's not quite true anymore.

Disclaimer: I work in a camera store with an in-house repair facility - but we don't sell Sigmas. We sell Tamrons and they are superb - I shot with Tamron before I work there. If you look at some of the geeky specs, they meet or exceed Nikon's - especially their VR technology.

The new Sigmas are very good and at par with Tamrons.  Yes, they had a few bad years - but those days are over.  When an older Sigma comes in the shop, our repair tech after opening it will ask us to come take a look at the double-stick foam tape as shims and other atrocious in the construction. Today, their "Art" lenses series are amazing.  I won't hesitate to buy one.

Since you own a crop-sensor, the prime lens for you should be a 35mm - every one should have a prime and a bright one at that. You'll never get the sharpness of a prime or the f/1.8 in an zoom.  As a beginner photography, you need to learn the skill of zooming with your feet and get amazing images.  You mention shooting family members - and here's something you need to keep in mind - don't shoot wide-angle for people - it's very unflattering - that's why model photographers use 70-200mm or prime 105mm for model shoots. With a zoom, you can easily, even unconsciously zoom out to 24mm or less when shooting people. While you may have a technically superb image, the people will look bulgy!  

Many excellent points here but I would disagree with the statement that everyone should have a prime lens.  Prime lenses are wonderful and they do provide benefits over zooms in some areas.  I am certainly not suggesting that they are a bad thing to purchase.  There are many folks who never need more than a point and shoot for photos and there are many who are happy with their DSLR and a single kit lens.  I am suggesting that, as a new DSLR photographer, go ahead with the zoom and get used to using it.  As you move forward with your photography, you will figure out what (if any) other lenses you might want or need to get the photos you desire.  If you need any assistance or guidance, feel free to jump in here and ask questions as there are many very knowledgable folks here including Yauman who can help your photography grow and improve.  To start, I'd suggest jumping into our weekly best photo challenge and post your best photo every week!  It is a fun thing to do and will give you a reason to go out and shoot some every week!