Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hang Song Doong (The worlds largest cave) Vietnam

vietnam caving adventure exploration cave photography seasia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hobo D

Hobo D

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouth Korea

Without a doubt, this truly was a once in a lifetime experience. 30 miles of heavy jungle and cave trekking in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park venturing into Hang Sơn Đoòng .... Its impossible to describe this place to anyone, let alone pictures do it any justice... it really has to be experienced. The largest cave by volume in the world. Some areas 650 feet wide and 500 feet tall inside. Two dolines where the roof collapsed allowing for two jungles to grow right in the cave, supplying the right conditions for its own climate and cloud systems as well as producing 800 ft cliffs. Grateful to be one of the first 200 people to ever set foot here.

Flying foxes, monkeys, hornbills, leeches, bats (flying withing inches of your face), snakes, spiders, biting fish, unkown species of insects and fish all inhabit this vast otherworldly locale.

Check out the following links for more information. 

The leading Adventure tour operator in Vietnam...

Son Doong Cave, Hang Son Doong - World's largest cave!

Loads of pics of course, these are some of my favorites.  First time shooting in a cave, defintely learned alot, mainly to bring more lights next time.

D800

Nikkor 24mm 2.8 MF

Nikkor 35-70mm AF

All criticism/feedback welcome.  I should have opted for a wider lense, thinking about doing this again in 2015.

vietnam_1.jpg

vietnam_4.jpg

vietnam_7.jpg

vietnam_10.jpg

vietnam_13.jpg

vietnam_16.jpg

vietnam_22.jpg

vietnam_23.jpg

vietnam_20.jpg

vietnam_15.jpg

vietnam_12.jpg

vietnam_3.jpg

vietnam_5.jpg

There are two people on the beach down there, almost impossbile to make out.

vietnam_2.jpg

vietnam_6.jpg

vietnam_11.jpg

vietnam_14.jpg

vietnam_9.jpg

vietnam_6.jpg

vietnam_21.jpg

vietnam_24.jpg

vietnam_17.jpg

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Nice!!  Beautiful location, and wonderful shots of it. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

These are just stunning. Vietnam hasn't really been on my travel radar, but maybe it should be. What a remarkable experience. I've just been checking out the Oxalis website--is that the company you went with? The website isn't terribly clear (or maybe I scanned it too quickly)--how long is the tour? And did you walk the 30 miles to get to the cave?

Your photos really are wonderful. 

Hobo D

Hobo D

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouth Korea

These are just stunning. Vietnam hasn't really been on my travel radar, but maybe it should be. What a remarkable experience. I've just been checking out the Oxalis website--is that the company you went with? The website isn't terribly clear (or maybe I scanned it too quickly)--how long is the tour? And did you walk the 30 miles to get to the cave?

Your photos really are wonderful. 

Thanks nbanjogal.  Yeah Vietnam blew me away.  Ill have to upload the non cave pics at some point.  Ive been to Japan, Thailand, (live in) Korea, and China.... and Vietnam has been my favorite so far for its food, beauty, culture, people, affordability (its insane how far the dollar will go there).  Highyl recomment it.

As far as Oxalis goes.  Yeah, they are the only tour company allowed inside.  Deb and Howard, the British caving experts who discovered Hang Son Doong, are two of the 4 caving experst that lead the expeditions along with 4 Vietnamese guides, 2 park rangers, and 20 porters.  All the info is on the site, click on Son Doong Cave, then Son Doong tour, you should then see overview and itinerary.  Its all there.

We didnt walk 30 miles to get there.  In total from drop off point in the park, jungle trekking, cave trekking from start to finish is around 30 miles.  Easily one of the most physically challenging things Ive ever done, definitely not a walk in the park, being in shape is very important.  Oxalis is very adamant about respecting the park and leaving no trace, I have zero complaints.

Day 1 | Arrive in Phong Nha for evening safety briefing and tour preparation, overnight at local Phong Nha Hotel (D). 

Day 2 | Depart Phong Nha village for the drop-off point located approximately 35km within the Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park. Descend into the river valley passing a minority village and trek 6km to arrive at the camp inside Hang En (B/L/D).  

Day 3 | In the early morning, travel through this enormous cave to reach its jaw-dropping exit and then follow the river through the jungle to the entrance of Hang Son Doong. Descend an 80m vertical drop to emerge into the first huge passage of Hang Son Doong. Cross the underground river twice and emerge in the gigantic main tunnel. Pass the Hand of Dog to first campsite close to the first underground doline (B/L/D). 

Day 4 |On this day you will pass incredibly large boulders straddled by 200m cliffs to the first doline and small jungle within the cave. Visit the Garden of Edam and camp at beach camp, one of the best campsites in the world with superb views of the jungle from the camp. Huge 250m high cliffs are visible from the camp. Flying foxes, monkeys and hornbills are often seen in this section of the cave (B/L/D).

Day 5 | Leave camp and travel deeper into the cave to reach the Great Wall of Vietnam, and depending upon water levels a boat may be required to complete this final section. Return to camp 1 near the first doline and visit a newly discovered passage with excellent examples of 300,000,000-year-old fossils (B/L/D).

Day 6 | Spend one extra night in the jungle on the way back to Phong Nhacamping at the magnificent Hang En. Enjoy an evening celebration with your porter team (B/L/D)

Day 7 | Arise early and trek back to Phong Nha. Spend the evening at local Phong Nha Hotel and enjoy a welcome back celebration party (B/L/D).Option to depart in the late evening by bus or train from Dong Hoi. Otherwise, check out the following morning (Day 8) and transfer to Dong Hoi

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

That sounds absolutely incredible.  I imagine it's not as expensive for you to fly from Korea to Vietnam as it would be from the US. This would take a while to save for, but it sure seems like it would be worth it. Wow. Maybe I need to start thinking about Asia (been mostly a Europe traveler when it comes to going abroad). Cambodia seems pretty amazing too.

Well, I'll look forward to seeing more of your images from Vietnam.

cupic

cupic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNSW Australia

Its a wonderland of fantastic futurist scene .Love the light stream into the cavern TFS

cheers

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Wow, technically perfect images. Love the lighting and exposures throughout the images. Very nice.