Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Samyang 85mm marco test

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Just sharing a test shot from a Samyang 85mm f1.4 coupled with a 12mm macro tube:

t2-L.jpg

Insane depth of field, fast aperture, and amazing bokeh makes this, possibly, best $200 lens on the market.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Fantastic shot. Have you any more from this set?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'm still in the "testing phase" with the lens; trying to learn all of it's quirks before putting it to work.

I do have these 2 processed as complete:

t1-L.jpg

t3-L.jpg

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Really sharp images, and great colour too.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Thanks. I've been very pleasantly surprised by just how good this lens is. It's very sharp wide open. I am noticing a fair amount of under-exposure though. It maybe an f1.4 lens but I bet the true light transmission is more like f1.6. It makes for nice constrasty images you'd normally go for in certain shots but I'd have preferred a more neutral exposure response. None-the-less, it produces excellent images for the cost. You just have to be a bit more pro-active handling it than with a higher quality AF lens.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks. I've been very pleasantly surprised by just how good this lens is. It's very sharp wide open. I am noticing a fair amount of under-exposure though. It maybe an f1.4 lens but I bet the true light transmission is more like f1.6. It makes for nice constrasty images you'd normally go for in certain shots but I'd have preferred a more neutral exposure response. None-the-less, it produces excellent images for the cost. You just have to be a bit more pro-active handling it than with a higher quality AF lens.

Nice shot.  No lens has a T value that matches the F-Stop.  Unless you are shooting full manual the camera will adjust the metering accordingly.

Looked it up and the T value is actually 1.7 for this lens, maybe darker than you'd like, but the Sigma and the Nikon are the same.  So, if you are shooting manual, you'll have to throw the 1/2 stop light loss into your calculations.  

Edit: Noticed the macro tube.  You will also experience some light loss from the tube, but with a 12mm it should be negligible.  

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

That matches my experience thus far. To get a properly exposed image in neutral conditions I have to throw a +0.7eV into the mix. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

You're getting some great results with this lens--very nice! It is a manual focus lens, right? What body do you have it on?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

You're getting some great results with this lens--very nice! It is a manual focus lens, right? What body do you have it on?

Yep,  manual focus, and I'm using it on a D7100