Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Self Timer Question

self timer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Candyb22

Candyb22

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

My fiance and I will be going on vacation soon so I'm trying to learn how to use the self timer to capture images of us together.  I practiced on this a bit yesterday and the pictures were ok but I don't feel like the focus was as sharp as I'd like.  I would also like for the background behind us to be in focus too because we will be in front of some nice buildings.

I was shooting in aperture mode with the self timer selected.  I would focus on him with single point focus and AF-S, then recompose the shot a bit so that I could fit into the picture and step in.  Am I doing this all wrong?  I wouldn't be surprised if I was.  Any tips would really help. 

I'm using a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

As long as you use a small enough aperture, you should have enough DOF for a sharp background.  However, the re-composition may affect what's in focus.  I would recommend to avoid re-composing and just leave enough space for yourself.  You can change the focus point easily via live view :)

Another tip is to use a wide-angle lens, as this will allow you to crop later on in case it wasn't exactly they way you wanted it to begin with.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Buy a cheap remote. Much easier to deal with than a timer.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

i use the Nikon wireless remote, a $20 item I think.  It does the job well.

• Ron likes this

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

My fiance and I will be going on vacation soon so I'm trying to learn how to use the self timer to capture images of us together. I practiced on this a bit yesterday and the pictures were ok but I don't feel like the focus was as sharp as I'd like. I would also like for the background behind us to be in focus too because we will be in front of some nice buildings.

I was shooting in aperture mode with the self timer selected. I would focus on him with single point focus and AF-S, then recompose the shot a bit so that I could fit into the picture and step in. Am I doing this all wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if I was. Any tips would really help.

I'm using a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Try manual focus when shooting using a timer. F11 with any focal length with the lens you mentioned should do the trick. With using aperture priority mode I am curious what the shutter speed your camera is using. Your focus issues might be shutter speed is too low its picking up movement. Hard to tell with no samples.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: self timer